Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-28-2002, 04:53 AM
Inactive User

Angry Damn Blinkers!!: Still don't work!!!

I just changed the WHOLE steering column out on my 69 Dart due to the other column jacking up on me. I took this column out of another 69' I just purchased and ITS turn signals worked before I removed the column.

I was told to replace the turn signal cam and did that, NOTHING different.

So I took my trusty Multi-meter and went tracing. Can't find ANY shorts, or opens, or blown fuses.

Anyone ever have a turn signal problem with these symptoms:

Turn on Left turn signal: Nothing
Turn on Right turn signal: Nothing
Turn on flashers: Flashing
Turn on Left signal, step on brake: Left REAR Tail signal goes OUT.
Turn on Right signal, step on brake; Right REAR tail signal goes OUT.

Front signals:NOTHING in any position., but front flashers work.

I have traced wires till I am blue in the face. Is there a SEPERATE circuit in the flasher solenoid for JUST THE SIGNALS? I have no problem with the Flashers, but NO TUTRN SIGNALS.

I am about to just drive it with out turn signals, the hell with it.

Swinger321
Old 02-28-2002, 07:56 AM
Inactive User

Start with the simple to help avoid frustration. First, switch your flasher relays around since the other shows it works. If that doesn't work, check your grounds. I gaurantee you it's something simple. Don't let it fluster you, relax, you'll have it in no time.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:34 AM
Inactive User

I'm with Ausydad.........Sounds like either your turn signal flasher is bad, or a ground is flakey.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:49 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Those are common symptoms of a bad ground. Most likely it's at one of the bulb housings.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:00 AM
Inactive User

sounds like a bulb to me...turn on your hazard and check to make sure all 4 bulbs flash....if one in burned,your hazards will work,but not your turn signal,also check you flasher relay,I belive there are 2,one for your hazards,and one for you blinkers...
Old 02-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Inactive User

Mine did the exact ( or close to ) thing. It was a short behind the fuseblock.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:37 PM
Inactive User

isnt working on car electrical fun!!! its so adventurious. and you get to meet little gremlins along the way!!! them little buggers are always smilin. but seriously, it sounds like a ground problem. most of the time the turn system is looking for a ground and if its a weak ground, those little gremlins like to play havoc on your electrical system. take a break and come back to it witha fresh mind. you will find it. and remember, working on a mopar, its not just a job,ITS AN ADVENTURE!!
Old 02-28-2002, 11:19 PM
Inactive User

My vote is for a bad ground. Flashers work, not a bulb.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

I just had this problem with my truck same exact symptoms. If your car is wired simular to my truck (hey it might be?? hit your brake and see if your gas gauge goes up? (do this with out your key on) If it does move then your ground for your light system is bad. Another easy way to check is to take a tail light out and run a jumper from the frame to a ground on the tail light. If that tail light works then you just have re ground the system.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

Did you check the Blinker fluid it could be low also! (lol!)
Old 03-01-2002, 02:59 AM
Inactive User

Default Hmmm thats funny, I only found ONE flasher solenoid

Maybe that what it is.

I looked and looked and ALL i can find is ONE flasher cannister thingy. Do 69' Darts have 2? Where is the other besides the one to the left of the steering column? Thanks for all the replies, I swear I am NOT fed up enough yet to torch it. Just a little flustered. I am sure I will find it. thanks. I will check back here to see if there is 2 or not.

Swinger321
Old 03-01-2002, 10:55 AM
Banned

I vote for the bad ground. make up a jumper wire and get a good ground, if that doesn't work then...
5 gallons of gas and road flare will fi it for sure...
Old 03-01-2002, 12:27 PM

My dodge has two flasher one for the hazards and one for the blinkers. And new cars are the same way. So I'm going to say yours has two also. As for it's location. That's a different question. I know my truck has both of them in the fuse box. But most new cars only have the hazard flasher in or near the fuse boxand the regular flasher is under the dash somewhere. I'd check the ground too
Old 03-10-2002, 07:37 AM
Inactive User

Default Check the bulb

I pulled out my hair as well with a flasher/signal scenario. I have a 69 RR so I'm not sure that YOURS is the same problem that I had but:

Check the bulbs. Again. I know it sounds stupid because you checked them a billion times AND the flashers work!

However my mopar friend told me that just because the flashers work doesn't necessarily mean the turn signals work. The bulb might be a dual filament bulb and the turn signal filament might have burned out. Or someone replaced the bulbs with monofilament bulbs.

While you're there, check the bayonets (or whatever they call those doo-hickeys on the side of the bulb and make sure they're making contact with the connector.

And I hear you about the frustruation. It's taken me about three months to work up the energy to roll up my sleeves and now try to figure out why my ammeter is showing such discharge when anything electrical is on. (I'll start with my grounds...)

Ahh maybe next month.....

Terry
Old 03-10-2002, 08:42 AM
Inactive User

Default blinker

Try this get a long hot wire from battery and get your self a light tester clip the hot and then go around and touch all your ground with the light tester if it lights up you got a good ground .next take all your bulbs out try them on another car if all works you no it not bulbs . next take light tester and check to see if you are getting fire to your bulb sockets some time I had problems with the ends inside the sockets need some wd40 and a good scrape still problem check on fire wall find your main wires unplug from fire wall could be problem there ask ? when you turn your light s on do your parking lights come on wham you turn your signal switch on does your signal arrow stay on but not blink if so you have a blown light hope this will help you onlly other way to check for bad connection is to pull wire from fire wall and take light tester and clip to hot touch end on wire make sure you take out your bulbs pull wire out of socket and ground to frame with wire hope this will help Remember if you had nothing to work on your wife would have you cleaning house good luck
Old 03-10-2002, 09:12 AM
Inactive User

Default signals

I had the same problem on a '68 charger I had in high school. If I recall correctly, there is a plug under dash where column harnes and vehicle harness clip together, since it sounds like everything was ok before you changed column, I would start with that connection and maybe check the turnsignal switch itself.

Of course, this is all after you have verified good grounding like everyone else here is saying!
Old 03-10-2002, 10:29 AM

Default Now here's my turn signal problem.

My 1971 Valiant just started with this. The turn signals had quit working, but the 4 ways and brake lights still work. There was a 20 amp fuse blown out in the fuse box. I switched it for a 15 (only had 15's and 30's), and the turn signals worked again.

I drove about 5 miles down the road, and went to use the turn signals, and the fuse was blown again. I'm thinking of the relay being shorted or something. It's not the light bulbs.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Inactive User

I have an 83 diplomat, one time my flashers didn't work and it turned out being the turn signal switch in the steering column. Just a thought.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Second flasher located on ashtray suport. The blinker fluid was funny!!