Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-01-2002, 08:05 AM
Inactive User

Default Mopars whooping Ford butt in Australia.

Giday everyone,
I thought I'd share my coolest race I've ever had. First off I own a Australian 1970 Chrysler VG Valiant with a 440, mini tubbed, 3.23 lsd 9 inch (sorry).
Anyway last summer (your winter) this bloke came back to my little country town for some work. Last time he'd seen my Valiant it was a 6 cly, 4 speed manual, no tubs, clean looking street car. He owns a Ford Capri (small English car)with a 351 and was racing everything he could.
One warm Saturday evening I was walking with my Girlfriend when this fellow pulled up in some other car, he asked me if I was interested in a race. I said "sure, but just for the hell of it, no money" we agreed to meet up at my place about 9 Sunday morning (the cops wouldn't expect a drag race first thing Sunday morn.). We went our separate ways. I had a party to go too so I went and got drunk.
Now in my town (Colac, Victoria)there was another Valiant the same color (Hemi Orange) and model as mine but a 265 Hemi6 cylinder (Aussie motor), apparently he raced it later that Sat. night and blew it's doors off. Of course he's was full of conferdence now.
Well, it's Sunday morning I'm in bed with a bit of a hang over. There's a bang on the door I crawl out of bed , here's the guy ready to race. I totally forgot!!! I rang my mate who was at the party too and told him I'll be there in ten minutes.
I said to the ford guy well I better get the car out of the shed, I open the doors, fire it up and back it out. His jaw hits the ground and says "gee you're done a bit of work on it since I last saw it". Anyway we decide to meet out at the local "drag" strip, I go pick up my buddy.
We arrive out there he's at the start line ready to go, I hang a burnout and stage. My buddy yells lets go on 3 and counts 1, 2, 3. I launch and get a 1/2 car length on him, hit 2nd, his passenger had the best seat in the house as my tyres lost traction for a split second, I wound her out hit 3rd and crossed the finish about 2 car lenghts in front.
My mate says pull over, he jumped out and asked if they wanted another race, he said "no". When buddy jumped back in the car he said "it always good to check just in case they dont think it's a fair race etc". So we headed to the local liquor store and celebrated for the rest of the day. Here is a pics of my val. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rssite1.jpg (15.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 03-02-2002, 05:37 AM
Inactive User

Man that is a sweet car! I would love to get my hands on some down under Mopars! You got several that I wish the US got! At minimum I want your SLANT 6, I call it the SLANT 6 from hell! Not that it is a bad thing!
Old 03-02-2002, 06:24 AM
Inactive User

Thanks mate. By our Slant 6 I persume you are meaning the "Hemi 6's" that powered our Valiants after 1971. They came as 215, 245 and 265 c.i. and are actually a upright motor. And your right they go like stink. here's a pic of E-49 265, the ultimate Hemi 6 with triple webber carbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-005f.jpg (46.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-02-2002, 12:49 PM
Inactive User

Good "kill" Too bad you or your mate didn't get a picture of the the guys face when you fired your " new and improved " val up for him !!!! Something like that I imagine. Sweet car too Too funny on your choice and reason for timing the race. I do that too. The cops are very rarely out and about from 5am to 7am Sunday. The roads are usually clear too. Makes it a good time for.......um.... er...... testing, ya that's the ticket- testing.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

That looks like "the last of the V8 Interceptors"!

Nice car, I thought you guys couldn't get V8's in Oz, hence the development of the Hemi 6's.

There's a bunch of you blokes posting over at www.inliners.org with their Hemi 6's, cammy falcons and the like.
There's a story there somewhere about a Hemi 6 that found it's way over here, and surprised a bunch of mustang boys at a drag strip one day.
Old 03-03-2002, 03:59 AM
Inactive User

Heck, you probably would have gone a tenth or two faster in that race and made that guy really look bad if you didn't have that passenger along with you. Same goes for him. Mopar or no car!!

FORD backwards is:

Driver
Returns
On
Foot LOL!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2002, 05:46 AM
Inactive User

We got 273, 318, 360 and a limited amount of 340 v8's. I've got a friend in Nova Scotia. Ca who imported a Aussie Charger with a 245 hemi, surprised one of his buddies with a 318 Dart Swinger.
Old 03-03-2002, 03:52 PM
Plutonium Member

Thumbs up We beat Fords on the Top Side of the World, too!

Whatta great looking car - even if the steering wheel is on the wrong side - oops! I forgot, not only are you "upside-down" down under, but you also drive on the wrong side of the road!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:39 PM
Inactive User

Didn't you know the left side is the "Right side"???

Us Aussies have to stick together. Hey Gaz are you going to Albury again this year? You'll have to come over to Motel chrysler and we can swap racing stories! or alternatively you can have a shot at the title!!

Damn I hope the wagon will be ready again this year, we had some fun with it last year!
Old 03-08-2002, 06:38 AM
Inactive User

Hi Blowmhemi (or is that Scott or Phil, I'm goimg to Albury but leaving my VG at home. I'll be in the Aspen
Old 03-14-2002, 10:09 PM
Inactive User

Have you ever known Phil to have a blower?

It's scotty of course!

Well I don't think I'll have any trouble finding you in the Aspen, it's not like there gonna be more than 1 there.