Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: Have you had any front-end problems with your truck?
I have had problems! 8 38.10%
I have _NOT_ had any problems! 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2002, 11:45 AM
MoparChat Support Staff

Exclamation DaimlerChrysler to buy back vehicles after front-end problems discovered...

State returns Dodge trucks - DaimlerChrysler to buy back vehicles after front-end problems discovered

By DAN McGILLVRAY, Staff Writer

Copyright © 2001 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

AUGUSTA — DaimlerChrysler Corp. has agreed to repurchase 35 state-owned Dodge pickup trucks that were taken off the road last week because of serious front-end problems. One of the vehicles was in an accident in Madison.

Some of the year-old trucks started to shimmy and shake last fall after drivers rode over bumps in roads, said Dwain McKenney, who supervises the state's Central Fleet Management division. The first wave of complaints surfaced from employees in the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife and the Department of Conservation.

"We have made the decision that we don't want our drivers driving the vehicles," said McKenney.

The state started to place the 2001 Dodge 3/4-ton trucks into service about one year ago. The trucks, a mix of regular cabs and extended "quad" cabs, came equipped with four-wheel-drive.

"We've been working with Chrysler Corp. for some time on this. We seem to be the only one experiencing a problem like this," said McKenney, who has talked with managers of truck fleets in other states. DaimlerChrysler Corp. builds Dodge trucks.

Eight trucks driven by fish and game wardens, and Maine Forest Service rangers drove over the past nine months suffered from the most severe problems, said McKenney. Three of the trucks were sent to DaimlerChrysler's factory in Auburn Hills, Mich. for repairs.

"We had them pretty much fixed but the state didn't have a lot of confidence in them," said Marc Henrette, of the automaker's public relations office. The spokesman also confirmed that DaimlerChrysler will buy back the trucks, and those arrangements are being worked on now.

Henrette said the company's engineers have looked at the front ends of the affected trucks. He believes road conditions in Maine may have contributed to the problems.

"There are some roads there that are very unique," said Henrette. At times, game wardens and fire control rangers drive over remote unpaved roads that can be rutted with bumps and holes.

The trucks, which are the 2500 model, are among the most rugged on the market. McKenney said some of the state trucks are at Sprague Chrysler Plymouth Dodge in Skowhegan, and one — that was driven by an automotive technician — was in an accident.

Gerald Coleman, of the Madison Police Department, said the mishap involved a state fish and wildlife truck. The accident happened on June 22, on Route 43.

"I believe he (the driver) was transported to the hospital. He was complaining of pain," said Coleman. The injuries did not appear to be too serious, he added.

McKenney said the state purchased the 2001 extended cab trucks for $22,376 each and the regular cab trucks for $20,184 each. Those fleet prices are much lower than the regular sticker prices of $29,525 and $27,410, respectively, he said.

Nearly all of the 35 trucks have racked up between 15,000 to 30,000 miles since they went into service. Even though the vehicles have been taken off the road officially, seven are still being used within state properties, such as parks.

Drivers of the affected trucks said the front ends would shake and shimmy after going over railroad tracks or other disruptions in road surfaces, McKenney said. State drivers would have to stop their vehicles before they could resume driving in a smooth manner, he added.

The problems went beyond a simple front tire balancing or front-end alignment, said McKenney. With the trucks out of use, the state is using spare and backup vehicles to fill the gap.

Because the trucks are still under warranty, none of the repairs was billed to the state, said McKenney.

The Bureau of General Services will send out requests for proposals to replace the 35-truck fleet. The only trucks that can meet the state's heavy duty specifications are Dodge, Chevrolet, Ford and GMC.

But McKenney said that unless DaimlerChrysler changes the front ends in Dodges, the state will reject bids for those four-wheel-drive vehicles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, have you had problems? Answer our poll and also comment be
Old 03-03-2002, 02:35 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

I HAD A 1996 V10 LONG BED EXT CAB, I DRIVE ON A DIRT ROAD IN WV, AFTER I DROVE ABOUT 20 TO 25,000 MILES IT WOULD HIT A BUMP AND I WOULD HALF TO STOP TO GET THE FRONT TIRES TO QUIT SHAKING,(THESE TRUCKS BOTH HAVE DANA 60 FRONT AXLES) UNTILL I FOUND OUT WHAT THE TROUBLE WAS, THE DEALER HERE COULD NOT FIND IT, THE FIX IS SIMPLE, (BOTTOM BALLJONTS) IT DID THIS THREE TIMES ON ME IN 72,000 MILES AND THE ONLY THING I WOULD CHANG IS THE BOTTOM ONE, THE BALLJONT DONT SHOW WAER UP AND DOWN BUT IN AND OUT IT WILL, NO ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM UNTILL I SEEN THIS ON HERE, THOT I WAS THE ONLYONE THAT HAD THE PROBLEM, HOPE THIS HELPS. NEMO.............
Old 03-04-2002, 03:07 PM
MoparsinMotion.COM

Angry

I have been complaining of a similar problem with my 2000, 1500 Quad Cab 4x4. When I go over a bump at highway speeds, the front of the truck will shake violently. I have had it back to the dealer 4 times now. They have rotated the tires, replaced the track bar, steering stabilizer, tie rod ends and a front-end alignment. It still does it and I’m getting pissed. Just called them again this morning and scheduled a fifth visit for this problem
Old 03-31-2002, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

had the same problem with my 95 1500 cause- broken pitman arm where it connected to tie rod