Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: Which Vehicle Should I Keep?
Keep the Dodge Truck 55 87.30%
Keep the Grand Cherokee 4 6.35%
Get Rid of Both 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Inactive User

Question Which Do I Keep?

Hello!

I may have a major decision in the next couple of months.
My wife may be getting a job that would require a lengthy commute. She currently drives a 1998 Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.2L Quadra-Trac. LOADED, I mean nice! Leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc. Really fast, too. I love it. However we get 14mpg consistantly. Not good enough for this proposed commute.
I drive a 1997 Dodge Ram 5.9L 4X4 reg. cab Short Bed, MSD wires and 6A, K&N 14x3, Sprayed in liner, Extang soft tonneau. Just bought Summit Headers, Borla Exhaust, Braided Hose, low temp stat, amongst other things. I love this truck! I also get 14mpg, but this is not a problem for me.
Once we get the newer more efficient vehicle I have to pick between one of these GREAT vehicles. I can't do it.
I should state that my driving is mostly to and from work. I haul occasionally, but could use my father-in-law's truck (Ford!! Ahhhh!) if I needed to.
I humbly ask for input from you fine people.
Thanks!!!!
Old 03-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

Got kids? keep the jeep. No kids the truck is more versitle. As you said no difference in MPG. Sounds like you like the dodge better from your description. Personally, I think the truck is better. But I'm just a bit bias. good luck!
Old 03-04-2002, 11:09 AM
Inactive User

I do have one child, a boy 14 months. He loves my truck, too. I'm a part time stay at home Dad, so I use the truck a lot to shuttle him around. It wors out great. If we have another it would nnot work at all.
The only reason there are no mods on the Jeep is that my wife drives it. If I had it, it would be sporting the K&N intake, etc.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:24 PM
Inactive User

Keep the truck...kids ride in the back if need be ..dont let go of the truck!
Old 03-05-2002, 06:31 PM
Inactive User

HMMMMMM Jeeps are great but theres something about a P/U that when its gone, your out buying one again !! Keep the truck !! If you have another child, then buy a cheap used family beater !
Old 03-05-2002, 07:45 PM

If your Jeep is getting 14 mpg in town, it may do considerably better on a long commute out on the 4 lane. I'd try the jeep on a few long cruises, before I'd count it out for a commuter. Good thing about both vehicles, they are considerbly larger than economy cars, and if Your wife had a traffic accident, either Jeep or Dodge truck would hold up better than a small sedan. Somethings are more important than gas mileage. Also, the 98 Jeep is going on 4 years old, may be time for some new plugs, filters and a general freshen up, may find some MPG there too.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:18 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for all of your input, keep it coming.

My wife's current commute is 25 miles each way, mostly highway. The new commute would be closer to 45 miles each way mostly highway. The Jeep has 82k miles so all of the tune up stuff has been done. High mile on a vehicle do not bother me, my truck has 126k. The 14mpg I mention for both vehicles is combined driving. Yeah, strickly highway the Jeep gets closer to 18 mpg.

Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:21 AM
Inactive User

I just noticed someone voted "get rid of both". I put it there kind of as a joke, but if have a suggestion as to what to get instead, please advise. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:48 PM
Extra Stout

Keep both and buy a base neon. You should be able to find one with lower miles at a real good price. ($5,000 to $6,000)
Old 03-06-2002, 04:44 PM
Inactive User

That's an option, but I already insure 4 vehicles. The Truck, the Jeep, 1997 Ford E350 panel van with a man lift, and a 1957 Ford Thunderbird. Having a fifth vehicle is not an option.
btw, the van is usless for hauling since it has the battery pack and the bucket mechanism in side of it. I'm using it to work on the exterior of my 1880 Victorian home.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:16 PM
Inactive User

My opinon is that you don't make any changes at all...keep them both. You obviously chose these vehicles because you liked them. Financial adjustments can be made towards the extra fuel costs until you are sure this job is permanent/long-term. No need to make a big change until things feel secure. Seems like a sensible approach for the time at hand. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2002, 09:25 AM
Inactive User

Thanks DustyChrysler. Our plan is just that, but I was thinking long term, worst case scenerio.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:50 AM
Inactive User

Wow, I'm in the minority here. I voted for the Jeep since I'm still disgruntled over my Dodge(98 Ram Quad cab 5.9 liter 4x4). It fell apart, Reverse lights never worked, Drink tray fell out of the dash, went back to the dealership 4 times for losing power so bad my high speed was 35 mph (could not duplicate), 8-10 mpg wasnt very impressive either, and every once in a while it would downshift into 2nd on the interstate for entertainment I guess. Just my humble opinion, maybe I just got a lemon. It sure was pretty though.
Jeremy
69 bcuda 440 fb
Old 03-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Inactive User

Default My opinion

I would advise selling all your vehicles and buying a Ford Aspire.

I'm obviously kidding.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:18 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Just a little thought, pick her up a used Avenger with the 2.5 mitsu. I have 142k on mine and just drove to Vegas a few months ago with no worries. I get 30-32 highway and a 5-star front crash safety rating. I see a lot of Avengers around for sale. No one wants an automatic in a college town.
Just a thought, cheap, easy on gas, safe, and still a Dodge.
Let us know what you decide.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

keep the truck
its multifunctional
Old 04-03-2002, 11:14 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

There should be the 4th option:

Keep both. You like both vehicles, know their history's and they are much safer than a lot of the compact cars you would have to buy in order to get better mpg. I think someone said earlier: mpg may not be the factor that you base the decision on

Opinions are like....we all got 'em..... DOH!!
Old 06-18-2002, 07:56 PM
Inactive User

All input was great!! Thanks again.

Well as it turns out she didn't get that job. I've started (lightly) modifying her Jeep. K&N, Bigger Wires and Bosch Platinum 4 plugs for now. I want it to run a little cooler so next is a lower tstat.

I'm very happy I do not have to make a choice, although the Ford Aspire was looking like a good choice..

Thanks again for the humor and advice.