Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-06-2002, 10:59 AM
Inactive User

Default Exhaust

I drive a 74 Dodge Coronet, and i'm looking to put a 360 into it over the summer (i already have a 318 and don't feel like doing the conversion over to big block). Anyway, im gonna have a friend that owns a car shop do the exhaust for me because its only a single out right now. Basically, what kind of exhaust specs should i get? x-pipe? straight? H-pipe? or any others.... also size of pipe too. Final question (for now) would it be alright to get the exhaust built and installed before putting in the new engine and headers? or would the headers be a drasitc change from manifolds as far as engineering the exhaust goes?
Old 03-06-2002, 11:34 AM
Inactive User

I'm not an exhause pro by any means, but I have put on several or had them put on for several of my projects. The x-pipe is always better because it's easier for force the exhaust gasses to make a gradual turn in to a "Y" (each half of the "X" is basically a "Y") than it is to get it to make a hard 90 degree turn into an "H" pipe. Make sense? Think of it as trying to herd a bunch of kittens...they will take the path of least resistance.

For a small block, 2.25" or 2.5" should be fine for pipe size.

Wait until the motor and headers are installed in the car, otherwise you will have no idea of where the exhaust pipe will connect to the header collector. That's the really only 'engineering' difference as far as you are concerned is the acutally exhaust pipe will be shorter because the collector will come down farther away from the engine than the stock manifolds do.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:46 AM

x-pipe, 2.25 pipe, flowmasters or glass packs.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:25 PM
Inactive User

Glass packs? Eeek. Go with the Flo's, if they made them for lawnmowers I'd have them on that. As far as flomasters, I'd go with the 40 series 2-chamber, they sound wicked.

Quote:
Originally posted by JVMopar
x-pipe, 2.25 pipe, flowmasters or glass packs.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:10 PM

All I've got on my truck is pipe and glass packs. Yes it's a little loud especially with the pipes out the side. But it sounds sooooo good.

http://www.geocities.com/jvmopar/jonstruck5.jpg

you may have to type in the url. Yahoo is screwing with the geocities cites.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:13 PM

Yup you have to type the url out on your own sorry