Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-06-2002, 03:14 PM
Inactive User

Default O/D off

My Durango R/T has over-drive as I think all Durangos have. Problem is, I think it's all backward how the factory has them set up. When you fire up the vehicle, it's automatically set to go into over-drive. If you don't want it to go into over-drive, you have to push the button on the gear selector to turn the O/D off. I would prefer to push the button to turn the O/D on when I want it to be on. Does anybody share my frustration? Does anybody know how to reverse this setup?
Old 03-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Inactive User

I can understand your point with the O/D switch. However, from a manufactures view, this makes sense if you're trying to get the best possible fuel mileage figures for the new car window sticker. Personnally, I don't mind as long as I can switch the O/D off when I want too. Hey, count your blessings. If my 2001 Durango could be had with a manual trans (which I would have gotten if it were available) there probably would have been one of those darn "Shift-UP" lights on the dash somewhere!
Old 03-06-2002, 10:08 PM
Regular Guy

Some of the Ram guys have experimented unsuccessfully with a resistor in one of the wires coming from the trans.

I'm all for an NV3500 in the Durango. I had a 5.2L 5-speed Dakota, those were the days!
Old 03-07-2002, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

Todd:

I'm with ya bro. Their (DC) set-up SUCKS! I never did like it. Coming from the land of GM, it's a bit bass ackwards to me. Especially if ya live in a city, and have ta deal with rush hour. Ya just don't need OD. The first time I hit the snow with my (sniff) 99 (sniff), it kept getting bogged down in the snow cause I forgot to turn off the OD.

As far as a manual trans, well, no more sick shifts in this cowboys life. It'd hurt way to much to be any fun. Bummer! Besides, the automatic is better suited for most situations anyways.

Later
Ugg
Old 03-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Inactive User

Well, I have to disagree. I like having the O/D on all the time as I do a lot of freeway driving and can't be bothered to think about turning it off. When I need to kickdown I use the gas pedal, should I need the O/D off to tow or I'm in a snow situation, I turn it off.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:02 PM
Inactive User

2001 Durango R/T, so to me, if you leave the O/D on, you get no power and bad fuel economy as you drive through town to get to the freeway.

Having the O/D be on all the time, to me is like having your blender on all the time just so it's running on the occasion that you might want to make a daiquiri.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by ModTop340
2001 Durango R/T, so to me, if you leave the O/D on, you get no power and bad fuel economy as you drive through town to get to the freeway.

Having the O/D be on all the time, to me is like having your blender on all the time just so it's running on the occasion that you might want to make a daiquiri.
For you maybe, but as I have a short drive to the freeway, I rather benefit from having the O/D on all the time as I would not want my truck screaming down the 401. Also, the R/T has 3.92 gears which causes the enging to rev high, even in the city and as such I would keep the O/D on even then. I have a manual in my other car and I often find that the best mileage is achieved when the car is left in the higher gears, and our auto doesn't shift nearly as often as I do.

The blender analogy is a good one, except that I think you should look at it the other way, turn it off when you need to tow, leave on the rest of the time to keep the revs down and the mileage up.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001 Durango R/T
Well, I have to disagree. I like having the O/D on all the time as I do a lot of freeway driving and can't be bothered to think about turning it off. When I need to kickdown I use the gas pedal, should I need the O/D off to tow or I'm in a snow situation, I turn it off.
I agree with your disagreement...well except for that whole snow thing! I like it the way it is. I do wish it would wait just a little longer before shifting into OD but as many long drives as I take I think it would be a pain in the ass to have to turn it on all the time. For the 8 months Ive had my R/T Ive only turned it off once, and with my Dak I only turn it off at the track(you really appreciate OD with 4.10s)
Old 03-12-2002, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

It is a little expensive for my taste, but this company makes an electronic board that reverses the normal operation of the O/D switch on Dodges:

http://www.intermotive.net/odi1.htm

There was a guy on DiRT and TDR that built a $20 device using a part you can buy at home security parts stores - but he has taken his webpage down where he had the do-it-yourself plans.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/mods/tr..._inverter.html

is where Dave Fritz has archived what I think is the original idea.

quote:

Using a Relay to Invert the OD switch position

This modification reverses the O/D switch, so it stays off until you press it to go activate O/D.

Posted by Evan A. Beck to the TDR Forum: It's a VERY easy thing to do... I came up with this one night, and was surprised how simple it is. All you need is a regular accessory relay and some wire.

But first, some info on how the OD switch works. TO turn OD on or off, it requires a pulse of ground, which is what the OD switch does. It is a momentary-contact type switch, and when you press it, it gives ground to the PCM telling it to turn OD on or off. ***FYI, the Ford E4OD and 4R100 work the same way, but just use 12V+ to the PCM instead of ground.

So basically, all you need to do is give the PCM a ground pulse when you start the truck. Standard relay terminals are:

85: Coil 12V+
86: Coil ground
87: Normally open
87A: Normally closed
30: Common feed
Wiring needed:

Connect the relay coil (pin 85) to the starter relay wire - dark blue with a yellow tracer in the steering column wiring harness.
Connect ground to pin 86.
Connect ground to 30 - this will be the ground feed for the pulse to the PCM.
Connect a wire from 87 to the OD wire - orange with a white tracer.
When you turn the key to the START position, it will trigger the coil in the relay, and give ground to the OD switch wire going to the PCM, thereby locking out OD, until the button is pushed. Basically, it would be like holding the OD button down while you start the truck. It works. Try it.

For 2001 Rams - Posted to the TDRoundtable by Garrett (Big White Beast)

For the 2001 the starter relay wire is yellow and it runs through the clutch in switch which is just a jumper on the AT's. I hooked the positive of a 24V relay to the wire on the clutch in switch. The negative to ground and then jumpered the ground to common on the relay. Then the orange with white stripe wire coming from the OD switch is tied to N.O. on the relay. At start up the relay activates and gives a ground pulse to the OD switch turning it off. Just pull off the knee plate under the dash and everything is right there. Plenty of room to mount the relay too.

end quote
Old 03-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

BlkBrd I agree with that statement for sure. I have only used the O/D turn off rarely (come up here and try the snow thing, it's a blast! *LOL*) and that only because I was in the hills and I wanted to keep it in third.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Inactive User

The following post just came in on the Dodge internet Ram Truck (DiRT) email list. Reply directly to Mike if you are interested. (Sorry about the formating)

begin quote:

""Mike Schwall" <mschwall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:44:33 -0600
Subject: [DiRT] New and improved OD Inverter

Would people be interested in an OD inverter that was cheap and better =
than anything out there? From what I've seen there is no good design =
out there. Current devices range from a simple relay that will switch =
the OD off and on with every turn of the key (not good) to $150 boxes =
that basically do the same thing.

I've been thinking about this for a few days now and have come up with a =
pretty good circuit that is fool proof, guaranteed to work, and not =
switch the OD off and on with every attempt at starting your truck if it =