Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Carb Problem

I have a Holley 780 that was rebuilt but it pours gas out the secondars. I took off the dual feed line and just hooked up the front line and the carb works fine. Does anybody have any ideas, Iam going to take it back to the guy that rebuilt it but I was just wondering if any of you people had any ideas.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

Check the float level. Easy to check and easy to adjust. Should be a site plug on the pass. side of the carb. 5/8" wrench and screwdriver to adjust. The large screw on the top at the back of the carb. Pull the site plug and adjust so that the fuel is just at the bottom of the hole. If it's too high, you'll be turning the 5/8" nut clockwise into the bowl. I'd crank it down a few turns and come up to the right level. It's easier if you have an electric fuel pump, otherwise the car has to be running. But if it's too high crank it way down before you fire it up. You might also take the inlet valve all the way out to make sure there's not some foreign material holding it open. Watch out for the little gaskets and also, when the car is running and you're adjusting, fuel can spray out the adjusting nut. A fire extinguisher would be wise to have on hand. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:09 PM

You got some stuff keeping the needle off the seat. It happened to me when the bowl shaved off part of the O-ring and kept the needle off the seat. It just pumped the gas down the secondaries and made it run like a running toilet, except alot rougher..
Old 03-07-2002, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

I checked the float level no prob there the needle and seat seam to be ok but I did not take the valve out. I'll try that it could have something holding it open, good idea. This a great site all the MOPAR HEADS helping each other. Thanks again Duster Don