Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-09-2002, 10:03 PM
Inactive User

Default small holes in heads

I thought I had messed up the header gaskets on my 318 cause when iI cranked it up I could hear the sound of exhaust leaks. So I removed the headers and found that the gaskets were in great shape, however I found a small quarter inch hole below each exhaust port. What are these and how do I plug them up. thanks guys.
Roland
Old 03-09-2002, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Roland,those holes are for the smog tubes. the best way to fix this is to install threaded plugs in the holes ( this can be done in the car if you remove the headers).i ran into this problem with a freinds 70 dart that we installed a 77 boneyard 318 in and we just figured out what thread it was and found some allen head plugs and installed them with some hi-temp sealer ,problem solved. I have also seen the holes plugged with jb weld but i do not suggest this method.hope this helps and good luck.
Old 03-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

I ran into the same problem as well.

On the one I did, I had to tap the holes, as they were not threaded. I tapped then to a machine screw size, threaded in the screw(with locktite on it)and then ground off the head.

Allen plugs(suggested by b body dude) will probably work better, but you may have to tap the holes for it all to work
Old 03-10-2002, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

dave 571 is right,now i remember that we did hve to tap the holes. sorry bout that Roland
Old 03-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

b-body dude and dave 571, Thanks alot for your help. Now I know that I panicked for nothing, man I thought the worst had happened. I'm so anxious to get this thing on the road but I keep running in to small problems and when I heard these leaks well my bubble burst all to hell. Thanks again guys, after this I'm driving it no matter what!!(just kidding) I just hope Murphy doesn't visit me anymore. Bless you guys.
Roland