Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-10-2002, 04:56 PM

Question Drag shocks

should i put drag shocks on my car i drive it around in town and cruse with the car i dont normally go to the track with it why do drag shocks say for strip only? can i have them and drive on the regular road how much good do they do and what brand should i get for my 73 440 road runner? thanks!!! i was checking out the competition enginering shcks what ratio should i have? and does any one make traction bars that will fit my car the lakwoods dont fit and where can i get some fram connecters?
Old 03-15-2002, 02:07 AM
Inactive User

The reason there for drag use only is because drag shocks let the front of your car lift faster.They also make it so the front end settles slow,witch in turn could be dangerous on the street.(how im not shure).competion engineering are fine.same for subframe connectors.as far as traction bars use a mopar performance adjustable pinion snubber.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Inactive User

watch if you use traction bars, especially if your running 14" tires on the back. I had a set of Lakewood traction bars on my 73 RR and I got hung up on a speedbump. I used the adjustible pinion snubber on mine also with stock shocks and with it set all the way down it was resting on the bottom of the body. It would tear the rubber snubber off, I tried poly-urethane(harder rubber) it would still tear it off. If you run air shocks then you can pump them up so it's not resting on the floor, I was running it this way before I put new leaf springs and shocks on my car. later shawn
Old 03-21-2002, 06:35 PM
Inactive User

Post shocks

I use Koni SPA-1 drag shocks I have for 4 yrs now on 2 Darts I own. They are fully adjustable and I haven't ever experienced that leaning problem in a curve with these shocks ever. They are not cheap but work like crazy on the street or strip. 2 thumbs up for them Hope this helps
Old 03-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Inactive User

Drag shocks are what there name implies, they are for drag race vehicles, not street driven vehicles. If you use a 90/10 on the street you will have stability problems on rough roads, The car will lift real easy, but is is harder for it to settle back down. If you need a lot of weight transfer on the street use 6cyl torsion bars. They will give you good lift and good control.

Dennis Jokela