Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-05-2000, 06:22 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Today I put my cherokee in parttime 4wheel drive, now it won't get out of it.Changing to normal 4wheel drive doesn't work .You can pull the shift through all parts of the 4wheel drive but it stay's in parttime 4wheel drive.
any suggestions to get it to normal driving again.
Regards
Gé

------------------
Old 02-13-2000, 10:00 AM
Inactive User

Hello cowboy:

If the shifter will move but the transfercase won't dissengage take it to a shop!! if the shifter wont move take it to a shop. if the transfercase dissengages but the front end stays locked check the vacume acuator on the axle to make shure all wires and hoses are hooked up. good luck.
Old 02-13-2000, 12:13 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKHOPPER:
Hello cowboy:

If the shifter will move but the transfercase won't dissengage take it to a shop!! if the shifter wont move take it to a shop. if the transfercase dissengages but the front end stays locked check the vacume acuator on the axle to make shure all wires and hoses are hooked up. good luck.
Thanks fore your reply.I've put my car on jackstands and as soon as turned the frontwheel it dissengaged .As I have no garage I have to wait till the weather gets better so I can crawel under it and check if all the wires and cables are in a good shape.
I must say that I have been having a lot of problems with the complete drivetrain of this car.It seems that the previous owner hasn't done any survey on this car .
I'm thinking of selling it and buying a Blazer ore a chevy pickup .
Regards
Old 02-13-2000, 09:32 PM
Addicted Moparchat Member

if you don't want that problem, don't buy a chevy. they are notorious for that very problem. most all of them get it at one point. also, there front wheels have to have a full rotation before it locks in. not good if you're at a standstill in 2WD...