Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Wheels & Tires Forum...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation Will these wheels fit a '70 Cuda?

I have a '70 Cuda and also a '95 Mustang GT that I just bought wheels for, then decided to sell so I could start fixing up and driving my cuda. My question is will the wheels I bought for the GT fit the Cuda.

Below is a link to both the front and back wheels and tires. The rear are 17x11 and the front are 17x9.5. Looks like the bolt pattern is the same on both 5x4.5. My only concern is whether or not the front wheels will rub. I'm pretty sure the rear will fit.

Anyway, if anyone knows the backspacing math and the max sizes, please go to this link where they have all the info and let me know. Thanks.

http://www.americanracing.com/applic...1994%2DPresent
Old 03-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Inactive User

I know the wheels I mention above are larger than what most run, but since I already have them, they will look better than the American Racing Torq Thrust D's on the back and the 14xskinny Magnum 500's that are on there now.

I was wanting to kind of go for that g-machine look, thus the wideness. Rear tires are Yokohama AVS Sports in 315/35zr17, can't remember the front sizes off the top of my head.

Rad...
Old 03-13-2002, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

Now, are the wheels from your mustang aftermarket ones that fit over the chrysler center register? The stock mustang wheels definately do not fit over the chrysler center register. If I remember right, you cannot fit a tire wider than P235 or P245 in the front fenders of a cuda, and I do belive that 8" rims are the widest that you want to go for that. I Think that P295's are also the limit in the rear without tubbing.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:27 PM

I know I'm a little late, but RadCuda, did you ever find out if those wheels for the GT will fit the Cuda?? I've been wondering about that myself for quite a while because I've been thinking about something similar for my Challenger.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Inactive User

The backspacing on the mustang wheels will probably not work on the 70 cuda. The mustang wheels typically have a 5.95" backspace as compared to those that fit properly which have between a 3-3/4 and 5" backspace.

The wheels in question are sitting at 17x11. This would put a backspace on them (if set for proper fit) of 7". Your cuda would need to have the springs "inboarded" to properly fit this without tire rub or other fit problems

If you wanted the wheel to fit properly in the rear, that 17x11 would need a backspace of 5-1/2 to 6"...but then you'd need to widen the track width of the wheel well a little to compensate for that massive 315 tire.

The front is a 17x9.5" wheel. That's ALOT of wheel for the front of a 70 cuda. Tires that fit a 9.5" rim are a bit wide and would most likely cause all kinds of grief on the front while turning. Unless you plan on giving the fender well some humps to compensate, you may want to stay with a maximum 8" wide in front. I've seen people use 235s with no rubbing, but never witnessed a 245 up front without some kind of a rub problem.

As they are aftermarket, I wouldn't see them causing a problem with the hub centers...so you'd be good in that department.

Good luck