Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Inactive User

Question head gasket failure

Hi i've just pulled my engine down after water got in to my engine through the coolant passage. The oil has gone all milky but the coolant is still ok. What do i have to do to get all this gunk out of the engine, clean it with kerosene or turps, or just pressurize with fresh oil.
My main worries are unblocking the solid lifters and getting it out of my turbo bearing housing. I also noticed that in the bore were it leaked it seems theirs a rust line going down from were it leaked, and the surface finish of the bore dosn't look as nice as the others, has the water and rust damaged the bore or will the rings still seal ok.
My problem was using the stock gasket and o ring in my block,it didn't clamp down evenly and distorted the gasket , from the last rebuild. So i'm going to use a copper head gasket, i just have to decide what thickness to use, 20 ,25, 40, 50 thou. And an ARP head stud set ( which i cant find to suit my Australian hemi 6 engine, caus they don't list the lengths of studs in other kits, and dont reply to my emails). i need 7 long ones, 7/16unc at 5 to 5 1/4in and 7 short ones at 3.75 to 4 in,k if any one can help.

Sorry about the long post.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Inactive User

Anyone
Old 03-13-2002, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

The main thing you have to worry about, is that you have for sure fixed the problem. Don't want any more coolant in the oil. If your sure of that, the clean up isn't so bad.

I'm not sure what the best way to clean it all up is. Varsol would be the best place to start I think. Varsol is oil compatible, so it won't damage anything.

Also, when you get the engine running, use an oil flush additive, and change the oil right away. You may even want to change the oil twice, after you get the thing assembled and running.

Old timers used to flush engines by putting soapy water in the crank case(I'm not making this up)instead of oil and running the engine. Then they would drain the soap and put in fresh oil. Run the engine again and change it right away.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:31 AM
Inactive User

Thnaks for the reply, im from australia and varsol is not familiar, is it a detergent or is it a chemical cleaner of some sort.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:43 AM
Inactive User

Varsol is most commonly used as thinner for oil based paints. Enamal paints like Tremclad or rustolem, or any other oil based paint(as oppossed to water/latex) You probably just know it as paint thinner.

Not to be confused with laquer thinner which is used for thinning Acrylic paints, like those useed on cars.(acrylic enamel)

Just don't ask me how many stones I weigh or stuff like that(or is that just an English thing?)
Old 03-16-2002, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

ps.

You could probably use a bit of diesel too, but it's not as good as the varsol/thinner.
Old 03-16-2002, 01:57 AM

They also used to run tranny fluid in the engine to clean out the crankcase.. lots of nice detergents in there

Older engines didn't seem to have the problem as much, and it depends on how long it was run, but quite often with newer engines you can get spun bearings and such down the road as a result of this aswell.