Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-14-2002, 12:24 PM
Inactive User

Default parking lights/turn signals...

my parking lights/turn signals on my 72' charger are going out. I got parking lights and flashers, but no turn signals. when I pull the headlights on though, the turn signal light for the passengers side is stuch on in the dash. I've tried to figure out where it lost a ground, but can't find it. Any of you guys know where to look? also looking for a drivers side parking light lenses in nice condition if any of you have one.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:10 PM
Inactive User

I had a similar problem with a 72 charger i owned a year ago. Except mine would not flash. You would turn the signal on and it would not blink. Keep it simple for you. DC electronics are pretty easy to follow when you take your time. If your sure that no grounds are bad then it may be the turn signal switch itself. Did you replace the large relay/fuse for the turn siganls? The relay is different than the one for the flashers. If that was replaced and all of your grounds are good and all of your bulbs are good then it may be the switch in the column. They are not too hard to replace. They are cumbersome when in the car however.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Inactive User

If your flashers work then the wiring from the steering column to the turn filaments in your bulbs (front and rear) is ok. I would look into the steering column switch and the wiring to the connector. The clue is that the dash indicator comes on with the lights but not with the turn signal switch.

Try and find a wiring diagram for the steering column pigtail that shows the color of the wires that bring in 12V to the switch and the color/stripe designation for the front and rear turn circuits. With this in hand you can daisconnect the pigtail under the dash and troubleshoot the switch without taking it apart.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

Default turn signals

71 383, I was only able to find a small round flasher canister, but not the othere. This one was under the cigarette tray, is this the turn signal one of the flasher as I couldn't tell.
Old 03-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Inactive User

Check the bulbs in front and rear for left side. If one filament is broken and touching the other it will cause the dash indicator to stay on. If my old memory is correct the turn signal flasher is located in the fuse panel and the 4-way flasher is near the ash tray. Since your 4-ways are working just turn them on and you should be able to feel the flasher pulsing. Good luck, electrical problems can turn you hair grey (they have contributed in my case).
Old 03-14-2002, 07:12 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Moparvan!

He is correct the turn signal flasher fuse/relay is in the fuse panel. i think it is the big round one. There is a long rectangular fuse that is the key buzzer in the panel also. very Annoying at times. either way the fuse panel does have small labels so try there first. If that does not do it then it is time to take Hydro's advice and isolated the switch. My shop manual is at home so I won't get to it till this weekend. I got a diagram in there.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

it's one of two things, you have a weak ground for the turn signals, or your flasher unit( thats the little round canister that goes click, click, click, click, click,click, click, OH GOD! click, click, click,HELP ME!, click, click, click,------------------------ see what car electrical can do to ya!) thats bad. go the cheap way and run down to pep boys and buy a flasher unit( thats that little round canister that goes click, click, click, god, you know what i mean! that will help you eliminate one source. good luck.