Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-15-2002, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

Question camshaft bearings

i just purchased a 68 satallite with 82k orig miles. I had it painted lime green and it looks awsome...the only problem is I have the engine stripped down to the short block and can't figure out how to get the cam bearings out....anybody out there have any suggestions without spending big bucks...thank for any info.

P.S. 318 engine
Old 03-15-2002, 12:16 AM
Banned

You need the secret tool......

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill ya

Knock 'em out with a long screwdriver...but why?

You can't get them back in without an install tool so this is the point that you take it to the machine shop and let them do all that, you'll just screw it up trying to do things without the proper tools.

Load her up and haul her down...
Old 03-15-2002, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

Default cam bearings

thanks...I have the secret tool..A mechanic buddy made it for me...i just didnt want to screw up the block by trying to pound them out the wrong way....whats the secret to alighning the oil holes...that looks like the trickiest part..thanks for the info.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

He's right. You can't do it yourself.

But, if your not tanking the block, you don't need to change them either. Especially if the motor really only has 82000 miles on it. Thier barely broken in.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

Why do you want to remove the cam bearings? If you're getting the block machined, the machine shop should replace them for you. If you're not having it machined, why remove the bearings? Re-installing them is not for the faint of heart and does require special tooling. Not to mention that many a time the new bearings need to be reamed in order for the cam to fit. Since you're down to the short block anyway, I would leave that job to a machine shop if you really need to do it.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Also true.

I've seen at machine shops(reputable ones at that) where they have an assortment of camshafts that they have put cuts in the brg journals, so they can be used to "ream" the new brgs once they are installed.

No kidding, I'm a mechanic and I wouldn't even consider doing it myself.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

Default cam bearings

the local machine shop says they have to remove the crank to replace the cam bearing...i think there just trying to make a buck.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:49 AM
Inactive User

Still confused. If the crank is still in, it would seem your not doing bottom end work to the engine. If this is the case why do you want to change the cam bearings?

Cam brgs don't have to be replaced if your changing the cam, if that's why your trying to do it.

Just trying to understand, man.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:50 AM
Inactive User

You could always remove the crank yourself. I can see where access to the cam would be better without the crank in the way. What are your plans with the motor? If you're replacing cam bearings, I would assume that you're also replacing main bearings and would need to remove the crank anyway. Is there any specific reason you want to replace the cam bearings? This is not one of those "while I'm at it" type deals like replacing your pilot bearing while you replace your clutch. Cam bearings usually only need to be replaced because they're nicked, damaged, severely worn or the block is being tanked.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:54 AM
Inactive User

Default cam bearings

someone tried replacing the cam before i got the car and tore up the bearings...i am just trying to get it back on the road for as little as possible at this point... the local shop quated 400 dollars and that seemed rediculous! but maybe i am just clueless...lol
Old 03-15-2002, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

kekoakeakane

That's a cool a handle/name. I saw some cool dodge vans up the west coast of oahu when I was there. Squatters were living there.

Up here we drink a beer called "kokanee" I think you can get it in some parts of the US too. So if you were drinking it, it would be a really cool tongue twister.

Sorry to be off topic, but I had to throw that in.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

Default cam bearings

i just inhearited the problem now i get to fix it...If i were rich it would be no problem anybody want a running ford LTD for a working 318?lol I didnt think so
Old 03-15-2002, 01:00 AM
Banned

Of course I'm right, I'm always right....we'll I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong and really right?
......go to bed Dad your drunk...OK... good night all....
Old 03-15-2002, 01:04 AM
Inactive User

ibwats

You're not clueless, I'm just trying to see where you're coming from.

If they need replacing, they need replacing.

Taking the crank out, taking the short block apart at home is doable. You'll need some help to put is back together, get your mechanic buddy to help you after the shop does the brgs.

With the block bare, the brg replacement should be less than a hundred bucks. closer to 60 I would think(plus the brgs)
Old 03-15-2002, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

Default cam bearings

thanks for all the advice...has turned out to be a bigger job than i thought....will let you know when it's done.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:12 AM
Inactive User

Agreed with Dave571 that cost should not be that high For future reference, it would have been clearer if you had let everyone know up front that your cam bearings were damaged and that's why you were thinking of replacing them. I don't think you're clueless, but everyone was trying to help you not get into this job unless you absolutely had to.

Dave571, my wife is from the Calgary area and I'm very familiar with Kokanee beer and try to get my hands on it whenever I can. In fact, a flat (a case for you U.S. guys) is my charge for rent to any of her relatives that want to stay at our house on vacation.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Banned

Suggestion for a beginner.....

Have the machine shop build the short block assembly and assemble the heads for you.

Then take it all home with a good engine assembly book and carefully and methodically complete the assembly your self,,,,and don't be afraid to ask if you have a question.

There is no such thing as a dumb question here.

You'll be suprised how really simple it is.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:27 PM

I've heard dealership flat-rate mechanics claim that they can change all of the cam bearing in the car without removing the pan.
The rear is the hardest to get to, since it's usually driven out from the back with the soft plug removed but they claim it can be removed with a seal remover.