Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-16-2000, 08:38 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Hey there, I have an 87 Dodge pickup, check the subject line for make and model, just wondering if it is possible to change the oil pump (in-pan) without pulling the mounts and raising the engine? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2000, 02:00 AM
Inactive User

Toke420,
Your oil pump should be external, which means you don't have to remove the pan for anything. The filter is screwed into the pump,and the pump should have six bolts holding it to the block.

BTW, that's a funny name.
Old 02-18-2000, 10:26 AM
Inactive User

Hehe, thanks Nate, you are right on the money with the external oil pump... but now I've got another problem. I removed the pan anyway to change the screen (I have enough clearance to replace the screen without pulling the mounts or anything so I'm ok there) and noticed [like you said] that the pump was external. It had the six bolts and I removed them all. But I can't figure out how to get the pump further than the little gear that is on the end. The hole looks too small and if it IS big enough then it's pretty clear that the pump has to be pulled directly straight out of the hole so that the gear will clear. But I'm hitting the crossmember. Is there any way to dismantle the pump or remove the gear so that I can get the pump out? I've tried turning it every possible way I can think of and the gear just doesn't seem to fit through the hole. My poor truck is in pieces in the garage and the Dodge dealers say they have no clue what I'm talking about when I tell them that the pump is external on my Slant. But THANK YOU GREATLY FOR YOUR HELP AS OF THUS FAR!!! BTW, Thanks, most people get offended by the name *grin*
Old 03-05-2000, 03:02 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Hey Toke, sorry about the delay. I was having some serious trouble with my windows box, but it's all fixed now. Unfotunately, if the pump won't come out you may have to raise the engine an inch or two. There should be enough clearance in the hole in the block for the drive gear to slide through. If there's not, then you may have to take the pan back off and try prying the gear off, as it should be pressed on. But I seriously doubt you'd have to do that. If you've got floor jack and jack-stands then lifting the motor a couple inches won't be that bad. Again, sorry about the delay. I hope this helps.

Nate