Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Tree Hugger

Cool Superchargers and Nitrous

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he was telling me that adding Nitrous to a supercharged engine has 2 functions. One is the normal gains you would see with a non 'charged engine. the second is that NO2 will " cool the Charge." I am guessing that Nitrous burns a lot faster than Gasoline and that the speed of the burn is what keeps the temperatures down. Is this true? If not, set me straight. any other related info would be good too.

thanks,
John
Old 03-16-2002, 08:31 PM
Inactive User

expanding gases create a cooling effect. nitrous is about -200 degrees when it leaves the injector, into the manifold. that's a whole lot of cooling (no, i don't know the exact temp.)

What you also create during the nitrous, and supercharger, is complicaitons. either power adder will make more power then your engine can handle. when you pile on the power adders like that, you just add more things that can go wrong. Even if just adding a 20 shot to cool only, what happens to your tune when a selanoid doesn't open.?

you can add water to do the cooling effect almost to the extreme that nitrous will do it, but much cheaper, and with the anti-detonation effect. you can use an intercooler to drop your supercharged temperatures below that of normal underhood temperatures, so you have good cold boost.
Old 03-17-2002, 09:34 AM

I have a friend who runs nitrous with his blower. He is running it at a low pressure and uses the nitrous to cool it off and add horsepower. The nitrous cools it off because like dewme5 says the nitrous out of the bottle is very cold. You could actually do the same to a turbocharger. He runs high 10's in the 1/4 with a fairly stock SB, and runs it on the street.
The nitrous itself does not burn more readily than gas. It actually has no gas (fuel) in it. It is mostly oxygen. That is why you need the extra fuel when running nitrous or, (because of the extra oxygen) the pistons etc would burn. I think this is the biggest mistake new nitrous users make because the extra fuel IS needed as the nitrous mix is going to burn something. If there is not enough fuel, goodbye pistons. The reason nitrous works is because it condenses the air, because of its cold nature, and allows more molecules (extra fuel & the nitrous itself) to be plunged into a small space. So with more fuel and oxygen added means more horsepower. You have to retard the ignition slightly to allow all this fuel to burn because it will actually take longer to burn because of the greater amount of fuel. Opening up the exhaust a little goes a long way here as you've got more fuel and need somewhere for all that exhaust to go. Hope I was not too confusing
Old 03-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Tree Hugger

Cool thanks guys

Dewme5,
Thanks for the help, I was actually thinking of going with a 20 shot just so it will help out a little. Looks like I have a lot more homework to do. I will probably just go with an intercooler and be happy with that.

Warlockpowerwagon,
Nope you weren't too confusing, actually until the other day I never knew you could use nitrous and a blower together. I don't even plan on installing the supercharger for another month or two. So I still have time to pick people's brains.

thanks again,

John
Old 03-18-2002, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

do yourself a favor.. before buying a supercharger, or anything, get some books on the subject first. "Maximum boost" by corky bell is more about turbochargers then superchargers, but it still explains the efficency's, explicit details about intercoolers, how to set up extra fueling. For those parts alone, it's worth $50 in saved headaches, and it's about $20, so you are $30 ahead..

I know there are some supercharger books out, it's goign to be money well spent to buy at least one or more, before you buy a supercharger.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Inactive User

These guys are right!!
NOS when in the bottle is in liquid form do to under pressure. When it leave the line or bottle it is a VAPOR or gas (boils) which is a cooling effect do to expansion about 1400 times the size of the molecules when it was a liquid in the bottle (under pressure). Just like a decodernt can when you spray it feels cold! This is due to the expansion of the gas and the change of the state from a liquid yo an gas!!
Old 03-18-2002, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

Default Quick formula!!!!

Here is a good formula to look at remeber this is a perfect world situation (not real world) every thing must be in absolute temps and pressures!

P V P V
=== equals ===
T T

: If pressure goes up Volume is constant Temo must go up!!
: If Pressure is constant and Volume goes up temp must go down!
: If temp is constant and Volume gos up pressure goes down!

Some FYI you probably wont use!