Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dodge Viper Chat...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-20-2002, 03:08 PM
Inactive User

Default seeking Viper tech info

Anyone know of a website siter that has a lot of Viper info.More like specs and pic of how they are made? What does the frame of one look like? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:17 AM
Inactive User

Go to Viper Club of America

They will have tons of info and links to other sites. The frame on a Viper is aluminum. Probably one of the most rigid frames in the automotive business. What else do you need?

Good luck.

Brad
Old 03-24-2002, 10:01 AM
Inactive User

I know the Viper has a "Tubular space frame with center spine structure" Do you have any pictures, maybe in a Service manual of it? Also if you have a service manual, does it give any specific measurements about the car? Like ball joint height, control arm length, coil spring rate, indie/outside dia.? We are trying to design a little racing car. I want to base some thing off of the Viper. Being that we are big Mopar nutz and also that DC was kind enough to engineer it out. If I can get the front suspension from a wrecked viper I can figure out the roll center. However, every thing is on paper so far. If I can get some basic measurements, basically mounting locations, I can use them to figure out the frame, like all the other mounting points. It will be a mid engine car, using the Mopar midget block. Basically I am desiging a little kit car, trying to use as many in production peices as their are already to keep cost down. If you have anything else you can email me at rb70383@cox.net

Thanks
Old 03-24-2002, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by rb77413
I know the Viper has a "Tubular space frame with center spine structure" Do you have any pictures, maybe in a Service manual of it? Also if you have a service manual, does it give any specific measurements about the car? Like ball joint height, control arm length, coil spring rate, indie/outside dia.? We are trying to design a little racing car. I want to base some thing off of the Viper. Being that we are big Mopar nutz and also that DC was kind enough to engineer it out. If I can get the front suspension from a wrecked viper I can figure out the roll center. However, every thing is on paper so far. If I can get some basic measurements, basically mounting locations, I can use them to figure out the frame, like all the other mounting points. It will be a mid engine car, using the Mopar midget block. Basically I am desiging a little kit car, trying to use as many in production peices as their are already to keep cost down. If you have anything else you can email me at rb70383@cox.net

Thanks
I can guarantee you that DC will not make the details that you want available to just anyone. That is considered company proprietary info. None of this is found in a shop manual, only part numbers. Why don't you go out and buy a shop manual?

I don't know of any pictures of a Viper frame.

Good luck.

Brad
Old 03-24-2002, 02:59 PM
Inactive User

Cant blame me for asking! Hoping someone had some spare parts laying to grab some measurements off of. I am keeping an eye out on E-bay for a service manual. On the frame, I wanted to know how the floor is tied in. On Vette's they sandwich balsa wood between two layers of composite material. light yet strong. Thanks for the links. I did find some useful info there.

Bob
Old 03-24-2002, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

Here's where to buy the shop manuals for Vipers:

Viper Shop Manuals

Even if you get the measurements on components, you still won't know anything about their load and stress tolerances... You would be better off spec'ing your own chassis and suspension, rather than trying to copy the Viper's. There are several idiosynchrosies in the Viper that would come into play in an exagerated manner on your car.

The other issue is are you dealing with a powerplant that is as big and have as much HP/torque as the Viper's V-10? That's probably not likely, and the frame and suspension would behave very differently than Viper would.

I would not recommend that you take this approach. You might be playing with fire.

JMO.

Brad
Old 03-25-2002, 01:35 AM
Inactive User

OK. I am actually not trying to completely copy the frame and everything. Just use the front suspension pieces. I am planning on using 17 inch wheels, and in order to reduce scrub radius, I want the ball joint to be inside the whell. Unlike my dakota where the upper ball joint is actually slightly above the wheel rim on the inside of it also. Since the Viper runs 17's on the front, and being a big mopar nut, I wanted to try and stick with Mopar production pieces. Just wanted the distance between the upper bushing front to back, length of the control arm perpendicular to the frame from the ball joint with that I can figure the basic angle of the legs on the control arm. As far as for the height of the spindle, it would tell me where to run the frame supports to mount the upper and lower control arms. I measured the suspension arms on my dakota, and they seemed a bit too short for my application. So I am either trying the Viper or Prowler parts, since they are both double A-arm front suspensions. Another thing was the difference in length between upper and lower arms as this helps detemine the camber gain throughout the travel of the suspension. I am not sure the Viper pieces will work, just dont have access to one in order to take measurements. On the frame, I just wanted to see the basic shape of the frame to see how they did it. Just trying to prevent reinventing the wheel. They best thing is to stick with a design that works. The Viper frame is VERY strong in torsional resistance. Somewhere around 9600 lb/in for the GTS. I have the center backbone figured out in my design, just want to see how the viper ties in the front and rear areas. The Corvette uses a "full permiter frame" that has two beams going down either side of the car. My project is a mid-engine design using a 2.4 with a transaxle. The backbone frame will be much stronger in this application since I don't have to worry about a driveshaft. Thanks again with the info. You actually did help me a lot. Too bad you dont live in the Phoenix area. Maybe you wouldn't mind me rolling under your car with a piece of paper and a tape measure. In all honesty, Thanks again

Bob

Found this page surfing.
http://vipercarparts.com/
Old 03-25-2002, 01:08 PM
Inactive User

Have you tried contacting the AZ VCA? The president is Marv Spatz. Maybe he can help you out...

Arizona VCA Website:
www.azvipers.com
Marv Spatz, President
E-Mail: AzViperClub@aol.com Viper Club of America - Arizona Region
10415 E. Desert Cove
Scottsdale, AZ 85259
PHONE: 480-391-0970
FAX: 480-391-0970

Good luck.

Brad