Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-11-1999, 10:55 AM
Inactive User

What are the biggest 15" diameter tires, the recommended wheel size and offset that I can get on a 67 Dart. I will be using fairly narrow in the front and the widest possible in the back. Will be running an RB engine. Header style unknown at this time, but may be fenderwell. Brand and series of tires would be helpful. Car is going to be street only. Thanks for the time and information...............Duffy
Old 11-11-1999, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

I may be wrong on a '67, but on my 73 Dart sport I can only run about 4 to 4.5 inch back spacing. This is with the springs in the original positions. I run a 7 inch wide rim, but an 8 inch rim would fit (although my wheel well lips have been modified). I originally had Bf Goodrich 255 radials on Weld wheels with 4.5 inch back spacing, and tried to put a set of street racing MCreary Road Star L60's on the same rims. The Extra width and sidewall bulge put the sidewall into the springs by about a 1/4 inch. I then moved the tires to a set of slots with 4 inch back spacing, and they fit fine.

A bodies are notorius for having little room for tires. There are two MP kits that can get you more room under there. One kit has offset hangers which give you about 1 to 1.5 inches of extra clearance to the inside. The other kit puts your springs directly on the frame itself and gives you 3+ inches extra clearance. Sounds like there are a couple guys here that run the second option, perhaps they can enlighten you further.

I think that an L60 bias or a radial 255 - 275 might work, with the 275 being a tight sqeeze.

You've got the right idea by asking around to see what wheel tire combos work best.

[This message has been edited by The Dartman (edited November 11, 1999).]
Old 11-12-1999, 08:03 AM
Inactive User

The '73 Dart Sport wheelwells are huge compared to the '67. However, the offset of the wheels with the springs in the stock location should be the same. I highly recommend moving the rear springs inwards with the MP 3" kit. The offset 'bolt on' kit requires a hole to be drilled to the frame and still the spring perches has to be welded to the rear axle, and the old ones removed. It moves the springs about 0.85" per side and cost about three times more than the weld in 3" kit. The 3" kit is easy to install, if you have a MIG welder, you can do it in one day easy. Without moving the rear springs and with the rear in sotck height, I would say that 245 tires might fit. But with 225's you should have still some safety marginal in your wheelwells.