Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-20-2002, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Default Running Open "Cylinder Heads"

Ok, I've heard of open HeadERS, but open heads? I feel like making some noise for a day or so, just to see how loud it is, you know how it is. SO I'm wondering if it's "ok" to run open "heads" or Exhaust Manifolds?

By the way, its in a 5.2 1500 Ram Pickup. I UNderstand that by bypassing the o2 sensor I'll get like 8 miles to the gallon or something like that, but does doing so cause the ECU to make me run lean or really rich? I'm guessing really rich?
Old 03-20-2002, 08:23 PM
Inactive User

Not sure but I have been told not running some kind of exhaust would not carry heat off from the heads and burn the valves out or crack the seats! At least with headers they are some what long, but you get less with regular manifolds!

I think the O2 sensor helps the computer (if equiped) lean it out or fatting it up by the exhaust temp it self I know that lean will make the temp very hot. Can be dangerous to a mill!
Old 03-21-2002, 01:32 AM

Don't do it.

Yes, it will be loud. Now consider that you are going to be blasting raw exhaust that is over 200 F into the engine bay. In a matter of minutes, the paint will be wasted. Wire insulation may begin to melt. Electronics may get damaged. Plastic parts will melt.

Aside from that, that cool air that is initially there can cause the exhauste valves to break.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:10 AM

Do you mean open chamber cylinder heads?
Old 03-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

If you mean that you want to see how it will run without any exhaust manifold at all.....I'd say you'd got to be kidding!!

When I was working on a race car project, the engine we were using was a Kawasaki 550 EX motorcylce engine. Just to test it on the bench we started it up without any exhaust pipes on it, just dump the exhaust straight out of the head.

It was so &@$$ LOUD!!!! All the windows shook, we lost out hearing for hours, and pissed a lot of people off...not to mention all the car alarms that went off!!

You will need to run some kind of exhaust system, just running shorty pipes will make plenty of sound....although I think a cop will pull you over very quickly!!!
Old 03-21-2002, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

Open Chamber heads, are just heads with a larger CC then closed chamber heads (most after market heads are Closed Chamber, since you can get a higher compression out of a Closed CC since there is no "space" around the valves).

Open headers are for drag racing. dont do them in public. i saw a guys 69 camaro get all f*cked up, cuz he drove it to the super market, parked it, and every pissed off person in the neighbourhood followed him there, and broke all his windows. kinda sucked, but he deserved it.

.sbuc72
Old 03-21-2002, 07:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Open Exhaust Manifolds?

What about doing open exhaust manifolds? Well that still cause damage to the engine bay? Or will it take it easier as it is angled down pointing at the ground. What about that?
Old 03-21-2002, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

You're still sucking in cold air to the valve area that you don't want.
P.S. Sorry, I sold the 4spd. Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2002, 01:43 AM
Inactive User

It can't be too good.

Ever see drag racers/ mud racers ect, put covers over thier pipes between runs?( the ones with the short pipes, 1 or 2 feet long or so)? Thats so the valves won't bend, because of the uneven cooling.

I've seen it first hand on a chevy, where the manifold cracked open, about an inch from the head(caused by a hit, off roading).

Bent 2 exhaust valves.

I've also run cars with just manifolds, to the muffler shop, without damage. Certainly not a recommended procedure.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:40 AM
Banned

Never Ever run an engine without at least exhaust manifolds.
If you want to make noise disconnect the exhaust at the cat, that will give you plenty of noise without a meltdown, but it'll run like $hit, if at all.

....never mind I'll keep my big mouth shut....
Old 03-22-2002, 11:00 AM
Inactive User

want noise???chop out your muffler,take a pipe and ram all the guts out of the cat...make sure you dump all the junk out...
Old 03-23-2002, 02:18 PM
Inactive User

Hmm, well, ok. This kid at my high school is running an open "Y" pipe on his camaro, makes ALOT of noise. All the ignorant people that think they know alot about cars think that this noise makes it 10x faster, ignorance is bliss I guess.

I just wanted to try something the same, Maybe open Manifolds? right before the cat? Just for a bit? I plan on changing the spark plugs after words, I just turned 30 k over as it is. I know I'll run Rich as hell, so rich that I might foul the plugs, I figure its ok as I will be replacing them.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

Default noise vs. power

I went to a dirt track race several years ago and their was a proposal to make the cars run mufflers. The racers hated the idea but they talked one guy into trying them. To make a long story short, he ran .3 seconds quicker with the muffs. The silly part was the driver didnt like the sound and wouldnt buy the muffs. even though they helped him that much.