Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

Default Street/Strip Charger

Hi I was wondering what you guys would suggest for front and rear suspension for a 68 street/strip charger?? For the front I was was thinking about using coilovers instead of torsion bars and a beefier sway bar? The rear HD leafs and a heavy duty swaybar? What size sway bars ,leafs , torsion bars would you guys suggest ? Keep in mind this will mainly be a street car but will see the track about twice a year and im looking for about the mids 12's in the quarter. Also will a 69 charger tailight assembly and grill assembly fit a 68 or vice versa? One more thing what is the largest tire you can fit under the stock rear fenderwells of a 68 charger??

P.S. this is a big block car.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

I have seen the 26"x11.5" M/T street ET tires on 10"x15" rims on my '71 Charger and on my friends '69 Charger. I use a 5" backspacing, I'm not sure if my friend uses 4.5" or 5" back spacing.

I have the Mopar performance 0.96" Torsen bars (street handling) which work really nice on the street (firm, but not harsh ride). My friend uses the larger 1.00"? torsen bars.
My front end is rebuilt with PST polygraphite kit, and their sway bars front and rear.
My rear springs were re-arched and had an extra spring leaf added. The spring rate is pretty good, but I hod the spring re-arched too much, so they don't sit flat. This causes a slight bit of oversteer (nice for tight SCCA soloII type racing, but not good for a high speed road course.) I think de-arching the springs would help, and I could probably run without the rear sway bar also to reduce the oversteer, or using a bigger front torsen bar would also correct this.
I also used the KYB gas shocks from PST. I wish the rear shocks were a bit longer, but they work good.

My car run in the mid 12's, but my 60' is only in the 1.8's as the car is hard to launch hard without spinning the tires.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:24 PM
Inactive User

I would go to PST in New Jersey and get the poly graphite kit as well as the "96" torsion bars. Sway bars, I would run 1 1/8" in the front with 7/8" in the rear. Coil overs in the front are nice like they did on "Project Road Runner" for Holley, but quite expensive and I believe they could use a bit more time in the "real world" before I buy into the hype. Your tail light question, NO. The '68 had 4 round lights while the '69 had thin horizontal lights like "the General". A nice set of gas adjustables should round out the package for you. Hope it helps and Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2002, 06:47 AM
Inactive User

Mopar front suspension is good !
No need for coilovers.
.96 or 1.00 torsion bars are good for a street/strip Charger.
In mine the rear sway bar just causes overstear.My opinion nowadays is that it is unusable added weight !
I have 28 X 11.5 X 15 tyres in mine with 4.5 backspacing.
I have also S/S springs...they may add a tad of room ?
As others have said good polygraphite bushings allaround and your set....if you have the power needed for 12s ET`s...

Kimmo
Old 03-21-2002, 09:58 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info guys I realy appreciate it
Old 03-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Addco has street oversized bars and comp. bars that should fit the bill real nice. Give them a call.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

i don't believe the front coilovers are suitable for real world driving or durability. their mounting point is where the shock bolts to the inner fender, it was never intended to support the weight of the front of the car from those bolt holes. i guess for drag race use it's alright, but i wouldn't put it to the test in NYC.