Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Steering pop

OK, I have been to the dealer three times for this and they keep saying that they cannot recreate it. I will admit that it is random, but something is definitely "off."

Occasionally I get this popping or slight clunking sensation in the steering wheel. It seems to ocurr predominantly after a hard stop, during acceleration. I have also felt it when going over something like a speed bump, or while turning and accelerating.

My 'D' has 13k miles on it, and the bushings have already been replaced all of the way around. I felt a similar sensation in my old 97 Explorer, which turned out to be a poorly engineered steering linkage assembly.

Any ideas? The dealer is obviously just going to keep telling me that they cannot repro unless I can produce something solid to go on.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:51 PM
Inactive User

Hey Blue:

I guess we travel the same path. I have 3K on #3, and just started developin that pop. Now I've only heard it once, but that's to much. I have an appointment with my 5* dealer this coming Tuesday. So, to be safe, I'm taking #3 to my buddys shop for a look over. Not that I don't trust my 5* dealer, I don't.

I had a similar problem on my (sniff) 99 (sniff), and that turned out to be my ball joints. I had a different 5* dealer then, but they couldn't find anything til I had my buddy check it out and discovered the ball joints. Then they found it.

It's gonna be a very busy day today, so I'll let ya know what my buddy says later tonight or tommorrow.

Later
Ugg
Old 03-21-2002, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

Default Many Thanks

Ugg,

Thanks for the help, I would love to be able to point my 5* dealer to a particular point, rather than have them keep saying the same thing....

Many Thanks Again!!
Old 03-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

Blue:

I'm back. Guess what? Just like you, we hd no luck finding anything. My pop occured when I was making a hard left (the pop came from the right) and was accelerating from a dead stop. Sound familiar? Oh well, there's always Tuesday.

Later
Ugg
Old 03-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

Default Pop

I have the same thing,My dealer has ordered a new steering shaft.Theres a TSB out on these,two or three i think,just on the steering pop.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Inactive User

Thomas:

Thanks for the info on the TSB's. I'll mention that to my 5* dealer on Tuesday when I take #3 in.

Later
Ugg
Old 03-25-2002, 01:06 PM
Inactive User

Default Thanks also...

I went ahead and sprung for the dues to All Data and got the following TSBs for these issues:

TSB # 19-05-99 "Popping Sensation/Noise in Steering Column While Turning"

Gee, how did they miss that one?

TSB # 13-001-00 Rev.B "Suspension - Snapping/Popping or clunking"

I also found a write up that contains a correction for the hard "clunk" that we get when we go into reverse:

TSB # 21-01-00 "Intermittent Harsh Engagement Into Reverse Gear on certain RE Model Trannys"

This one involves a replacement of the transmission valve body upper housing seperator plate, and valve body check ball. It is then followed up with a new flashing of the PCM to calibrate. I was told that this was normal, and that there wasn't anything that could be done.

For anyone who is interested. www.alldata.com For $25 you get all of the TSBs (complete write-up with diagrams and how tos to do it yourself if you so choose). Seemed to be worth it to me for the extra piece of mind. I will be bringing my print outs with when I go back to the dealer.

Later
Old 03-25-2002, 02:17 PM
Inactive User

Yo Blue:

Greetings from the windy city, ad boy is it windy today. Thanks fo the info. I will bringthose #'s with when I go to my 5* dealer on, WHOOPS, not Tuesday like I thought. Good thing that I write things down. Looks like #3's gonna be makin a day of it there. All I see is $$$$$$$$$ from those guys, and it's to them, not me.

Maybe I'll jus get the warranty stuff done, and the synthetics in the axels only. They might charge way to much for changin the other fluids. I'll see when I get there. I'll use my Vas-O-Line Meter. It detects te amount of ground glass in the mixture.

Later
Ugg
Old 03-31-2002, 02:32 PM
Inactive User

Yo Blue:

Sorry, but my 5* guys just ain't cuttin it. They siad that the TSB's that you gave didn't apply to #3 cause it's an R/T. ??????? Someone should write a book on "How to deal with your 5* dealer." They'd make a mint. To make matters even worse, #3 still creaks, groans, clunks, and pulls to the right.

For this honor I got to spend almost $300. I'm so happy. I even had to bring it back a 2nd day too. What fun. Now I have to go over to my buddy, the real mechanic. Have someone that knows what he's doin look at it. I'll keep ya posted.

Later
Ugg
Old 04-01-2002, 08:43 AM
Inactive User

Hey Ugg,

Sorry to hear that all that the dealer could do was make your wallet lighter... I will be taking my 'D' in as soon as a part that is on back order arrives. I will be sure to let you know what the guys say about the TSBs. Funny that the TSB makes the statement (All Durangos) and not all but RTs.

Later
Old 04-01-2002, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

Default Popping

Blue

Don't matter what model of Durango you have the steering linkage is the same on 2wd and all 4wd have the same.My steering wheel poped untill the Dealer did TSB#1900900,He centered the steering wheel with the dash and installed a new shaft.He had to unbolt the steering colum and move it to center it then tigthen the bolts.
Stay on the Dealer and get it fixed.

Can't spell for Shi!
Old 04-02-2002, 01:58 AM
Inactive User

Guys:

Yeah, ain't it funny how that stuff works with the dealers? To make things even worse, I had to bring #3 back a 2nd time to get the fron end aligned. Then they didn't align it. The front end shop (not the dealer) said that there was a 7" difference, side to side! Oh come on now. You can see that with the naked eye, and let me tell you that there was NO difference.

After a bunch of dickin around, I wound up at another front end shop, an they made short order of it. The whole ordeal only took 1.75 days. The 5 dealer that I took #3 to was where I had bough i. I had to see what kinda jerks they were. They were pretty jerky if yask me. That's Feeny Dodge in Palatine Illinois.

Like Isaid before, back to my budys shop, to get the straight skinny. Then it'll be off to my LOCAL 5* dealer. At least he knows that I have the damn thing checked out before I bring it to him. Did I mention that the new place wanted to charge $50.00 to rotate just 4 tires? Oh yeah, they'd balance the tires too. How frickin nice.

Later
Ugg
Old 04-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

Default Now it's worse....

I convinced the dealer that the TSB needed to be performed, and now it's worse. I don't know what to do next. Guess I will have to try a new shop to see if a fresh face can find something else....