Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-22-2002, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin why spirit R/T's kick ass

about three months ago I picked up a pretty high mileage spirit r/t. evewn with 130,000 it still pulls pretty hard. Being in the Air force and getting paid E-2 makes it pretty hard to do anything fun engine wise so all i have done is put in mobil 1 and a K&N. here at Vandenberg AFB there are plenty of little pukes with hondas and such so one night the oppurtunity finally arose to show a 3000gt what cc could do in the early ninties. I was cruising down highway 1 one night when the slightly modified mitsu goes by at about 80. i dropped it down to 4th nad nailed it. after quickly catching up at around 85 we both kicked it down. needless to say by 120 I had him be a solid margin. when I got back to base and saw him the next day the look on is face was hillarious. he was shocked that his baby had been beat by a grandma car dodge spirit.
TIII forever
dtack
Old 03-22-2002, 01:17 AM
Inactive User

Default Screamin Turbo 3's

Too bad the T3 was never as popular as the SOHC Turbo's. Its a shame after all that work Lotus put into designing the valve train. I heard that the T3 came out after the T4 VNT engine, and that was because they were planning it way before the T4 but it took long for them to develope hence, being released out of sequence.

That must have been sweet to give that 3000gt a run for the money . Most people don't realize what kind of powerplants they offered in the 80's-early 90's FWD dodges. Half the people I know didn't realize that Dodge ever produced Turbo cars, and some of them are still in disbelief. I told some of my buddys in SAE at my college that Dodge sold a Super 60 package which made 300hp and 300lb-ft of torque for a turbo 4cyl, and most of them think I am lying

130k, thats nothing, just practice good maintainence and make sure you idle down for 5mins after driving and the egine and Turbo will last a long time. Also you might want to look into bleeding the boost, its an easy way to get some more hp. You might actually be suprised how much power you can make without spending much or nothing. Just check out the Turbo database at http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ , there is a lot of good stuff there
Old 03-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Inactive User

good kill on the mits. x girl friend had a spirit turbo caught alot of people looking at the light ......only problem was not enough back seat ............LOL
Old 03-26-2002, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

hey man.. I'm going to know how you feel in about 5 months... I'm going to basic at the end of july.

I have both my neon to mod, and my roadrunner to do TONS of stuff to, so I guess I'm skipping eating and puttin money into the RR and maybe the neon ( )
Old 03-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Awesome!

I know what you mean about the look on the face of a person who loses to a Spirit R/T a couple of summers ago my Dad and I picked one up. Since then I have beat a ton of Mustang GTs and a modified maxima that was actually pretty darn fast. The look is always the same, they are shocked. The rice rockets are the best to beat though because they get pissed =). Anyway, one word of warning, when the timing belt breaks(because it will) don't let the dealer try and tell you that it will require taking the head off to replace the valves and pistons. The motor is a non-interference head so the valves won't contact the pistons even in the event of a breakage. The dealer tried to charge my dad $2000 to replace all that stuff. I told my dad to go else where and the mechanic he found ended up only charging about $200 to fix it. So be weary, also Gates or Dayco seem to be the best brands for timing chains. Good luck and have fun.

Matt
Old 03-26-2002, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

True...they are really awesome...how many stock 224hp 4cyls do you see???
Old 03-27-2002, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

hey mopar2you good luck in basic. its worth it. I'm assuming air force. if so try and stay out of trouble. I missed out on getting the top graduate in my ICBM maintanence class because of underage drinking.
on the timing belts I've heard to stay away from the U.S made and to stick w/ italian.