Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-22-2002, 05:28 AM

Default Kiesler 5-speed swap, Anyone done this?

Hi, I'm am currently restoring my Challenger and during the process I am converting the car to a 4-speed. I've been looking for an 18 spline Hemi trans for months now and have had no luck. I saw an article about the Kiesler 5-speed conversion and it sounds great. It seems like a good value considering the outragous prices of the Hemi 4-speeds, seems like a better tranny too.(I'll miss the ole gear whine though). Everything is new and it bolts right in with no modifications. Has anyone tried these kits before? Did/do you like it? What have you heard about it?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2002, 06:47 AM
Inactive User

I saw the ad also
went to the web site
gave me a big woodie accually
I am currently putting a 4 gear in my Volare in hopes of someday having the cash for the 5 gear
Old 03-22-2002, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, i read the article aswell, seemed pretty bad ass, but 2k usd for a tranny, thats a bit out of my range (plus i just spent 300$ rebuilding my 727 for my 72 440 challenger conversion.

one day...

.sbuc72
Old 03-22-2002, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

sounds like a great tranny, but that price..........uhggggggg
Old 03-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

there are advantages to going keisler, but if you are thinking about going with a 6 speed, check out my webpage for a little how to.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

My magazine is at work but one of the mopar mags just did an article saying it was just as good or better than the hemi 18 spline and that they have kits for A, B and E bodies. This article is the pre-cursor for a full install on an A body in the next issue. If noone else knows which mag it was I'll bring it back from work to let you know.....
Old 03-23-2002, 09:22 AM
Inactive User

if there gonna charge ya that many bones for that unit im sure you won't have a problem with the fit. i'v heard nothin but good things about it.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:03 PM

dewme5, I thought about using a t-56 but I have a big block and I don't know of anyone that makes a bellhousing to adapt the two or a clutch that would work right. Plus you gotta make a pretty fat transmission tunnel, and the shifter won't be in the same place. Those things and a few other reasons is what made me look at the Kiesler, if the T-56 was easier to install I'd go with it, cause I've driven a new W-S6 Fireturd with the Hurst shifter and it was an awesome tranny (sorry guys but the car was pretty awesome too).

Going to the 18 spline Hemi trans would be almost as much as the Kiesler, so I think the extra money for the Kiesler would be worth it for the advantages over the Hemi trans. Guess I'm going with the Kiesler, I'll let you all know how it works when I get the car back together.

Thanks,
C-ya
Old 03-24-2002, 08:47 AM
Inactive User

70 Challenger RT, I have a hemi 18 spline transmission in excellent condition that I removed from a 70 Cuda. I was going to list it on ebay but will sell it to you if you are interested. The tail housing, linkage, etc. will be a perfect fit in your car. Reasonable price. Email me if you are interested.

davisp@ix.netcom.com
Old 03-31-2002, 04:15 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by mauve66
My magazine is at work but one of the mopar mags just did an article saying it was just as good or better than the hemi 18 spline and that they have kits for A, B and E bodies. This article is the pre-cursor for a full install on an A body in the next issue. If noone else knows which mag it was I'll bring it back from work to let you know.....
What mag was that in? I've seen the ad before like a 100 hundred times. The day I needed the website, I can't find that article any where.

Bob
Old 03-31-2002, 05:27 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by dewme5
there are advantages to going keisler, but if you are thinking about going with a 6 speed, check out my webpage for a little how to.
First off, sorry to hear about your crank. The
crankshaft I know alot was custom, but do you have any pictures? I have no idea how a hydraulic clutch set up looks. How did the pedals mount in? A picture of the cross member
would help if at all possible. The shifter goes right
out the top of the tranny right? The project is a 66
Barracuda. It was a 3-on-the tree, but the 3-speed is
long gone. The previous owner installed a 904 with
threaded rod coming in from under the gas pedal to
shift it. Not fun when you floor it and the pedal
kicks it out of drive into neutral. The clutch pedal
is still in the car, so I wanted to know if it is
usable with a hydraulic clutch setup. Also how did you
find the location as to where to put the hole for the
shidter. Make a little hole and see how close it is
and cut according? Sorry for all the questions, just
want to do a little research before I start cutting.
if you send pics send to rb70383@yahoo.com

Thanks

Bob
Old 03-31-2002, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
what mag was that in?
I'll have to get it from wiork and repost on monday night west coast time......
Old 03-31-2002, 05:31 PM
Inactive User

I don't really have any pictures of the installation. as for the hydrualic throwout bearing. instead of having mechanical arm that moves the throwout bearing, the TB is bolted to the trans, and grows towards the clutch and you push the pedal. You can use your original pedal, but, you have to attach a master cylinder to it of some sorts. I used a pedal setup by tilton (they do circle track stuff) a huge advantage, is that all the linkage doesn't have to be original, or pieced together. it's just one hydrualic line from the master cylinder to the hydrualic throwout bearing.

shifter.. yeah, it comes right thru the top. just eyeballed it from the bottom, put in a hole, and then started making the hole bigger as I Jacked the tranny up a little bit at a time.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

the mag is the Mopar Action for June 2002 with the Ram SRT-10 on the cover. This is just the first installment covering the re-engineering done by Keisler(sp). The next issue is supposed to be an install into the Green Brick. I've heard some bad things about Keisler on here but you have to admit that this is filling a real need when you consider the problems with other trannies like the Richmond 6spd.................. now if some one would just fix the viper 6spd........