Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-23-2002, 03:17 PM
Inactive User

Default What should I do? (long)

Alright, much to my disgust, after tearin the motor down somewhat (heads, intake) found out that the person that sold it to us lied. It was a HP motor at least (he said that...) but, it was supposed to have a roller cam (has a solid), it was supposed to have ported 906 heads (haven't flow checked those yet) and been bored .060 but after measuring a piston wall it was only 4.320 which is stock>

SO.... now my father and I are going to rebuild the motor and we are trying to explore the possibilities of what we could do with it.

One of our thoughts was too leave the motor stock and lower the compression to 8.5:1 and then install new heads (RPM heads... or any suggestions?) and some kind of blower setup for it (with new cam etc. plus a 200hp shot of nitrous).

The other thought was to build it into a nasty N/A motor, bore it .030 or .060 over, roller cam, ported aluminum heads (RPM or somethin else), tunnel ram with 2 4's, fiberglass hood, balanced and blueprinted.

The specific note on this is, the car will be a street/strip car. The car will be driven on the street (not a lot, just a little, like on the weekends or cruise nights). Its going to be on the strip a lot though (every weekend).

The question is, which one would be cheaper and more trustworthy to build etc.? which one would make the more power, and which would be better for the street/strip?

We are looking at the bracket killer kit from muscle motors to rebuild it. But whats the best blower and all that other good stuff?

Thanks for all the help!

Any other thoughts or questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer!
Old 03-23-2002, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

been looking at the muscle motors racing site and another possibility, though difficult is also possible.

I have a 77 new yorker sittin out back with a 400 that still runs, not great, but it runs (lean burn is screwed). I could buy the 451 or 474 setup, that I could install myself because no machining is required.
This is probably the least desired setup though, because I would have to pull the 400 out of the new yorker, and well, it runs now, without a motor it wont (duh!).

Do you know what these various setups would run in HP and what kinda run I could get with my 70 RR? I'm guessing weight is about 3800 with me in it (200 lbs).

Which setup would be the best for me to do?
Old 03-24-2002, 10:55 AM
Inactive User

I'm not a BB guy, but certain basics are the same throughout. A tunnel ram (like I'm putting together) will net you less horse than a blower, and requires much higher compression. The blower will give you more and will use the boost to build your compression. Blowers are much more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I think the tunnel will be a little more forgiving for the street times, but the blower will give you more down the track. It comes down to taste and finances. I would go the 451 route as it does have similar numbers to the 440, but less weight so you can bring your RPM's up a little quicker. IMO, I would go with a tunnnel rammed 451, but that's just my thoughts. Either way, I would find a 'glass hood and keep the original in the rafters.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:39 PM
Inactive User

I would be happy to find a standard bore in a motor that was said to be .60 over. no matter what route you go, bore the motor as little as possible. The superior rigidity (i.e. ring seal) benefits will outweigh any horse power gains from added cubes from overboring.

think about it, how many cubes do you get anyway, I seem to remember that a 440 @.30 over gets you a 446" motor. a .60 over 440 might result in 452"? I would rather have the ring seal and the ability to bore the motor 1 more time down the road.

Anyway, I like the idea of the blower setup. I do not know enough to argue the technical aspects of it verses your other choices, but you cannot deny the "cool" factor!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2002, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

well.. I am still leaning heavily for the worked over 440 (not too keen on pullin ANOTHER motor) cuz the blower is expensive, but as dkn said they look awful sweet and theres a lot of performance to gain.

I would prolly be able to run a pretty healthy dose of nitrous with the blower as well which would give more performance, but whos got the money?!
Old 03-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

aight, now the 400 stroker is starting to be more keen sounding because it would allow more room inside the engine bay and with a higher possible RPM that would also help cause of the 5:13's and 3spd auto.

The question is.... my 77 New Yorker has the 400 motor in good running condition (just needs a tune up and valve gaskets), from what I understand its possible it has the thin wall casting which would make it not possible to stroke it (too weak) but it may have the normal wall casting which would make it fine to stroke.

How can I tell if it has thin or regular wall castings???? I dont want to pull the motor etc. and then find out that it wont work right. ALSO, will the 727 hooked up to my 440 hook right up to the 400 or will I have to buy some parts etc?

Thanks!