Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-24-2002, 11:08 AM
Inactive User

Smile street stock

I am thinking about building a street stock for a certain track, the rules say I must run a cast iron motor, I can run an alum. intake and headers, no motor setback, stock style clutch.
I had planned on running a Duster body/B engine combo. Now looking at the rules/ the weight/ and the competition ( camero/chevelle,383chevy, etc) I am not sure about my choices.
Do I stay with my orignial thought line or should I consider a 380 crate, small block stroker? Which stock heads to use if I go LA? I remember hom much I hated headers on my small block. Whats the best power/per weight motor for this 1/4/ dirt oval/mopar?
Help me from racing a chevy!!!
Old 03-24-2002, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Small Block

I would recommed a small block (360) due to weight. Are there any head rules? If they do not specifically say no W2's that is the direction I would go.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:35 AM
Inactive User

Default street stock

yes the rules specify no W2, in mostly stock form shouldnt I be able to get more HP out of a 383 than a 340? ( I used to, 10 to 12 years ago!, when I was racing before Kids!!!) Any way what LA should I go for ? And what mods?Cast head/block stock location. Headers, ignition and Intake=1 800cfm max carb, stock clutch/auto. rear must match car. What do you suggest?
Old 03-25-2002, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

Which track are you considering, Racerdav? Fernley's a 3/8th's and they have the 800 cfm carb rule. Fallon's the quarter mile track.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Inactive User

The track in Fernley, I was mistaken it is a 3/8 mile. Have you seen any other Mopars there?
Old 03-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Inactive User

No, I havent seen any running over there, there are 2 of us running here at Fallon though, have you had a chance to give us a look. www.rattlesnakeraceway.com. We are both running 360's with hydraulic cams and J heads, both cars are ultra competitive
Old 03-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Inactive User

I'm looking to get back into racing after being out of it for 10 years. I will be moving to Reno area and I'm looking to get back into it ( on a limited basis). And to think I sold all my cool small block stuff, Whats your opinion of Fernley? Be honest. I'm thinking, b/b in an A body on the 3/8 mile.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:31 AM
Inactive User

Fernley's a paper clip 3/8th's stop and go track. Wide and smooth. Very dry-slick. On race day they run hot laps for some three hours through the heat of the afternoon so that by the time the heat races start the track is already dry slick and dusty.

I have the honor of being the only mopar (that I know of) to race in their street stock class since the track opened a few years ago. I only raced there once in the street stock. Had fun though. Missed the set up in the heat and finished dead last. Placed second in the B main and then worked from the back up to fifth in the A main. I had something for the fourth place car, but would have had to make a contact pass to get around him.

I think that a big block in an A body might work there. 383 or 400. Lots of compression and a big cam so you can a) come off the corners without making too much torque to break loose, and b) come on hard as soon as you do hook. The key, as you might have guessed, is to get the car to hook up on that slick track.

The rules are pretty open at Fernley. The heads say OEM, but their head tech person has intrepreted that to mean any factory casting made by the automobile manufacturer. This very discussion came up on their message board regarding Bowtie heads. So, if they allow Bowties (which they do) then you should be able to run W-2's or even Stage 5 heads for a big block.

You'll be running against some cars that stretch the meaning of street stock to the limit. One car in particular is a Camaro front clipped late model for all intents.

You wont beat those guys with brute power. The way to do it is get your car to work on that dry track and have a very smart right foot.

I'm building a new car right now. You're welcome to come out to Fallon and take a look. Good luck
Old 03-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the input. I like dry slick since I'm an asphalt guy anyway.
Here is my e-mail address: dgengenbach@rhi-dp.com
Let me know your # and address and maybe I'll swing out to se ya in Fallon.