Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-22-2000, 02:45 AM
Inactive User

Question

I have a 2000 QuadCab Dakota with a 4.7L V8/5-speed. I am interested in putting a Flowmaster muffler or cat-back exhaust on it. My question is, which "series" of muffler do I go with to get a deep, rich sound without alot of interior resonance. Anyone with experience with Flowmaster exhaust on their 4.7, 5.2 or 5.9's, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Thanks!!!

------------------
Old 05-02-2000, 03:06 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Thanks for the advice! That'll help me in my decision on what to put on my truck (after looking further into this, it looks like the new "Delta Flow" versions help keep interior noise to a minimum).
Old 05-02-2000, 09:07 AM
Plutonium Member

Biggrin

I have a 2000 Ram 1500 QC with the 5.9 and put a 50-series SUV on my stock exhaust with the heat shield because Flowmaster said it would be quiet enough in the interior to hear my stereo even at low volume and because (at that time, a few months ago) Flowmaster said it would be several months before they started making the 70-series again. The heat shield noticably cuts down the interior noise according to Flowmaster. They do not make a Delta Flow with 3" inlet & outlet which is what the Rams have.

When I accelerate the interior resonance is not too loud & I can hear my stereo even turned down low. When I am cruising at a constant RPM the exhaust system is even quieter than stock! My friends say my Ram sounds awsome on the outside, but I've only heard it from the inside.

------------------
Kenny Katowik
Old 05-05-2000, 03:20 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the tip! I should be ready to do something in the next few weeks so hopefully I will get it figured out. Sounds like your setup is about what I would want.
Old 05-05-2000, 08:51 PM

Cool

I judt ordered a low-restriction muffler from carparts.com that I think will do nicely on my 2000 Dakota 4X4 with the 4.7 liter V8. I ordered a Gibson aluminized universal fit muffler, #788500. It is round, 24 inches in case length and has the 2.5 inch I & O, offset/offset configuration. As close as anything I could find to the stock one. My muffler guy tells me that the swap will be cake, and that I won't have to scrap all that pretty stainless steel exhaust tubing. Take advantage of the 1/3 off coupon in Four Wheeler magazine, and you should be all set. I found the customer service folks at carparts.com to be very helpful. Best of luck with your Dak, and I'll let you know how the swap goes in a few days.