Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-25-2002, 01:45 PM

Default A518 in a Duster. What did u do for a crossmember?

Im really considering an overdrive for my '74 360. The only detail i don't have figured out is what to do for a crossmember/ trans mount. My biggest problem is that i don't know how to weld!

I was looking at the crossmembers that Kiesler has for thier 5speeds conversions. It looked like it about the right drop but i doubt its anything but kinda close.

any other ideas?
Old 03-25-2002, 02:01 PM
Inactive User

Default 518 in a Duster

One of the Mopar magazines did this swap years ago. I think it was Mopar Action. Rick Ehrenberg(?) wrote the piece. It involved massaging the driveshaft tunnel and the crossmember. I don't remember if the driveshaft had to shortened.

Now the crossmember has to have the center dropped and modifed to use the truck tranny mount. I would mock it up with the easy-to-bend "handimetal" that you find at the hardware store. You could even bolt it in place to check your positioning as long as you didn't put any real weight on it. Then after you got the dimensions right, you take your mockup to a proper welding shop and have them replace the "handimetal" with real steel, weld it up, clean & paint and now you have a custom transmission crossmember that you know fits!
Old 03-25-2002, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

Several years ago Hot Rod showed the conversion done by Art Carr. They cut the "ears" off the original crossmember and welded in a droped section (you could probbably mock one up with cardboard and duct tape, then have a shop weld one up for you.) They used the universal GM transmission rear mount from Energy Suspension, because it fits the mounting holes up on the transmission tail shaft where the crossmember is.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

Default 518 crossmember

Idid this conversion a couple of years ago on my 74 Challenger.I modified the crossmember to use a GM mount,and then reinforced the crossmember.This was much easier than trying to use the truck mount.Yes the driveshaft will have to be shortened slightly.