Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-30-2002, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Aero Rules for NASCAR

The NASCAR aero rules are getting to be ridiculous. If the Fords aren't crying it's the Chevy's or Pontiacs. It's getting funny because with the current rules all the cars look so much alike anyway. Now there is talk about going with a common template for all the models. It's getting to the point where they just may as well all run the same cars with the same engines to get the equality they are looking for. Whatever happened to brand identification? It used to be it was the Dodges and Plymouths against the Fords and Chevys or visa versa. If you watch a NASCAR race today the only way to determine what kind of car it is you have to look for a decal or at the front grill.
I believe that for the past 15 or 20 years that NASCAR has gone in the wrong direction with the aero rules. Remember what NASCAR started as. A driver or team was suppose to be able to go to a showroom buy a car, hot rod the engine and then going racing on Sunday. They called it stock car racing. Where is the stock car in todays' NASCAR races? It doesen't exist.
NASCAR is always talking about the cost of racing for the teams; that's why they instituted the one engine rule to save the teams money. I believe one more way to save the teams money and to get brand identification back into racing is for the teams to go back to using a stock body. I want to see an Intrepid look like an Intrepid, a Taurus look like a Taurus and so on and so forth. Let them all run a front air dam with a 2 inch kick out and a 6 1/2 inch rear spoiler. Keep the current engine rules and chasis rules. Then let the chips fall where they may. The models they are running today are far more aerodynamic then the models that used to run in the late 60's or early 70's before NASCAR instituted the current aero rules.
Let me know what you guys think about this or what other changes could be made to make the cars look more like the cars we drive.