Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-10-2000, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

1995 XJ 4.0 litre Limited - mileage to date 70,000 miles.

Up till now I have not had any problems with my Cherokee, but whilst I was out today, I had to reverse out of a parking space and when I came to move the shift lever to D to drive away, it felt very loose and it did not engage drive until the lever was in the 1-3 position.

I drove the car home and had a look where the cable is attached to the bottom of the T shift lever and every thing was alright. I then had a look at the transmission end, and noticed that the outer cable was moving, to and fro in the bracket where it is secured to the bell housing

I had a look in the Jeep manual which did not say much at all about the cable setup, but it did refer to a cable adjuster locking clip. Back under the car I found the clip and it was half way out, I adjusted the cable and snapped the clip back into position and all seems to be OK again.

I fully realise that the locking clip should not have worked loose and would like to know if it is a sign that the shift cable is getting ready for replacement, or can you buy the adjuster assembly separate. 1995 XJ 4.0 litre Limited - mileage to date 70,000 miles.

Up till now I have not had any problems with my Cherokee, but whilst I was out today, I had to reverse out of a parking space and when I came to move the shift lever to D to drive away, it felt very loose and it did not engage drive until the lever was in the 1-3 position.

I drove the car home and had a look where the cable is attached to the bottom of the T shift lever and every thing was alright. I then had a look at the transmission end, and noticed that the outer cable was moving to and fro in the bracket where it is secured to the bell housing

I had a look in the Jeep manual which did not say much at all about the cable setup, but it did refer to a cable adjuster locking clip. Back under the car I found the clip and it was half way out, I adjusted the cable and snapped the clip back into position and all seems to be OK again.

I fully realise that the locking clip should not have worked loose and would like to know if it
is a sign that the shift cable is getting ready for replacement, or can you buy the adjuster assembly separate.
Old 06-11-2000, 11:24 PM
Inactive User

I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 that just turned over 117,000 miles.I haven't had any problems with the cable or the whole vehicle for that matter.I used to be a line tech at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer and I cannot recall any problems with the cable then either.I have a few Jeeps in my fleet where I work at now and again,no problems there.I think it was just a fluke that it worked it's way loose,it's not common,nor is it a sign of replacement.