Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:36 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy bodywork blues

just need some direction and proper steps to pull this bodywork off..my car 70 rr clone. i have already stripped down both quarters with a wire cup-brush on my grinder and welded up the molding holes. there was very little rust on the car so i cut out what little of it there was and welded in new sheet metal. This car will be a driver car but a nice driver car. where do i go from this point? prime first? etching or non etching primer? sand first? and what grades or grit do i start with? do any of you guys prefer a specific body filler over another? just wanna do the best possible job i can...please advise...shaky
Old 04-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Inactive User

What I would suggest, since you have already put weld in the trim holes, grind those down to just under where you want it. Then DA everything with an 80 grit. Time for Metal Prep and a cleaning. After this, use Kromate Lite filler to take care of your body work and knock it down with 80, 180 and then 320. Once it's to your taste, cover with an etching primer. guide coat with rattle can black and wetsand with a 400. If all of the black comes off and everything is smooth, cover one more time with a eurothane primer, guide coat and wetsand again. After that, wet sand the entire panel with 1000 and preclean with wax/grease remover on a tack cloth. If you use a regular rag, you'll have lint in the paint, and if you use thinner, you'll get "fisheyes". Your ready for color. Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2002, 12:55 PM
Inactive User

Smile takin notes

ok ausydad...i appreciate your advice. you sound like a guy who's been there and done that. i have already grinded down the welds. i've just heard some people say to primer first then start bodywork. i'll probably have some more questions concerning all this at certain stages...hopefully you'll be around to guide me. ok guess i'll start lining me up some sand paper,filler and maybe some balsa wood to make me different lenghts to do a lil bit of block sanding as well...thanks so much...Shaky Tailfeathers...beep beep
Old 04-03-2002, 08:43 AM
Inactive User

No Problem, shaky. email me at
Ausydad@yahoo.com
Be happy to share anything I know for you
Old 04-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

Default BODY WORK

HI. I HAVE 15 YEARS INTO HEAVE COLLISION WORK AND I HAVE ALLSO taught collision/ refinishing. IF THE CAR IS IN Bare METAL DO ALL THE METAL WORK FIRST AND PULL ALL YOUR DENTS OUT SO ITS READY FOR FILLER YOU CAN EP (EPOXY PRIME ) WITH A METAL EtCHER UnDER IT THEN YOU CAN SAND IT AFTER IT DRIES (180 GRIT) THEN PuT SOME FILLER IN YOUR DENTS OR WELDS SMALL DENT US 80 GRIT AND IF THERE BIG USe 40 GRIT TO NOtCH IT DOWN THEN PuT SOME MORE FILLER OVER IT AND SAND IT WITH 80 THEN IF THERE are PIN HOLES OR SOME SANDING SCRAtches US SOME EVER COAT OVER IT AND SAND IT WITH 180 ALWAYS Put YOUR MUD ON SMOOTH AS YOU CAN GET IT THEN EP THE whole THiNG WITH 2 COATS THAT COVER EVERything AND PuT 4 COATS OF PRIMER LIKE K-36S (PPG PRODUCTS) SAND THIS WITH 240 WET WITH GUIDE COAT THEN IF ITS STRAIGHT(USE WAX AND GREASE REMOVER AND WIPE THE PANEL DOWN WITH IT WET AND YOU CAN SEE IF IT STRAIGHT.)THEN PuT 2 COATS ON IT AND SAND WITH 400 THEn 600 GRIT WET THEN YOUR DONE IF YOU GO TO PLASTIC FILLER THEN REPRIME THOSE SPOTS IF THIS IS TO MUCH FOR YOU CALL ME AND I WILL GIVE YOU HAND WITH IT AT MY SHOP MID WEST Customs AT HOTRODSR1@HOTMAIL.COM

Old 04-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Inactive User

I agree with "Iusydad" mostly......but....

I'd prime the body after you DA the panel w/PPG DP50 (catalist primer), 2 wet coats, to seal the metal. Then as time permits (if it's a hobby like mine) you can rough up the trouble spots and fill with Evercoat Rage filler. Scuff w/80 and Shoot w/PPG K36 catalist filler primer, 2 wet coats, then a mist guide coat. Block Sand out the guide coat fill low spots w/Evercoat Icing. Block Sand w/180 and shoot again filler primer, 2 wet coats, then mist guide coat. Sand w/320, 2 wet coats filler primer, Wet Sand w/400 and apply a sealer. Then your onto color.

I am using this process because............
- I can stop almost anywhere in the process and avoid rust
- I don't wet sand untill last coat of primer....again because of rust
- Use catalist primers to reduce shrinkage
- Seal base metal to prevent interactions between existing bodywork and new work

I am a do it yourselfer......this is just what I've been doing.....if anyone else sees this wrong.....Let me know!

Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:05 PM
Inactive User

FEATHERS,

I DONT WANT TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO BUT I WILL TELL YOU WHAT NOT TO DO AND THAT IS DONT LISTEN TO A GUY THAT CANT SPELL.IVE BEEN I THE TRADE FOR 20 YRS AND DO IT PROFESSIONALLY AND 70CUDA'S ADVICE IS YOUR BEST BET FOR A DO IT YOURSELFER.GO TO A LOCAL AUTOBODY SUPPLY SHOP AND TALK WITH SOMEONE THERE ON WHAT MATERIALS YOULL NEED.PPG PAINTS WILL BE THE MOST USER FRIENDLY AND IT WONT BREAK YOUR WALLET.INVEST IN SOME REAL BODY TOOLS ALSO LIKE GOOD LONGBOARDS FOR BLOCK SANDING AND MAYBE A DA SANDER AND IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE ALOT EASIER.IF YOU WANT MY PROFESSIONAL ADVICE I WOULD BE GLAD TO ANSWER ANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS. GOOD LUCK.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up very close

ok guys...im getting really close to bodywork phase, just been lining up some more other items for this project...yall will probably start hearing from me here within the next couple of weeks on as i rely on what you guys have told me. i will certainly keep you posted as to what i am doing exactly...thanks fellas...Shaky