Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-18-1999, 04:47 PM
Inactive User

(Sorry for the double post, cause I also asked this one in the "Performance" room.)

I have heard and read about the dramatic increase I can get by swapping out the 195 degree thermo in my RAM for one that is 180 degrees.

The question is: since I live in south central Michigan, will I need to swap the stock one back in during the winter months ?

This is my daily driver. And the wind is starting to blow already.

Good luck on your project.

Old 09-20-1999, 07:54 PM

I've been wondering that myself. I just installed the thermostat in my truck on the recommendation of JET to go along with their computer module.

I don't live too far from you (Grand Ledge) so I'm curious to see if there is any big difference myself.

The advantage that I have is that this is NOT my winter beater, unless I get a locker rear end, then it will be my only driver.

I should have my truck done by the end of this week, I'll let you know how much cooler it runs.

I guess I should also mention that I have a 1990 D150 with a 3.9L V-6 and the "old" throttle body fuel injection, but I don't think that will matter a whole lot. Colder is colder, right?

The thermostat I used was a Robertshaw HP unit that I got from Autozone for around $5. I don't know if there's any difference in the different brands or not. This one is supposed to be more acccurate regarding the temperature that it opens and closes at, and it has a bigger opening for the coolant to flow through. This is supposed to result in more even cooling, rather than the more abrupt hot/cold cycling of the OEM thermostat.

I dunno, I guess I'll find out.

Regards,
400Magnum

[This message has been edited by 400Magnum (edited September 21, 1999).]
Old 09-22-1999, 01:26 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info !

Grand Ledge huh ? We will have to get together sometime !

If you get a locker, let me know. I have thought about this upgrade myself. (Were you think stock ? Auburn ? Detroit Locker ?)
Old 09-22-1999, 11:48 PM

Yea, maybe we will try to meet sometime. It could be fun. Do you belong to any Mopar club in the area? I ask because I'm in the Mid Michigan Mopar Enthusiasts club, and they're a real nice bunch of people. Click on the link below to go to our club's web site. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/4889/

As for the locker, the only one that I've found that I think will fit my truck is the TrakLock. About $370 from Summit/Jegs, a little more money than I can afford right now. Aside from fitting my axle, I'm considering this only mostly because they claim that I won't have to mess with the ring and pinion to install it, and since I've never messed with setting backlash and all of that for gears, I'd like to avoid it if I can. The locker seems to provide better traction than the factory Sure-Grip anyway, and at the same price, I may as well save myself some work, right?

Regards,
400Magnum
Old 09-23-1999, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks again for the info and the link. I emailed and asked when the next meeting is and if I could be allowed to "sit in". May want to join !

Check with NCCARNES at the other RAM GUYS post - I know he has swapped out rears and gears and has some insight when you are ready.

Have you ever checked out:
http://forum.sportruck.com/

They have lots of info and topics on Sport Trucks ! (See ya there !)

Old 09-28-1999, 12:17 PM
Inactive User

Question

RAM MAN

I have a 99 Dakota with the V6 engine and I've been toying with the idea of swapping the 195 degree thermostat for a 180 degree model. You mention performance gain, would you elaborate on this? Also what are the potential negitives in swapping to a 180 degree thermostat?....Thanks
Old 09-28-1999, 02:05 PM
Mopars win..others whine

The locker is very easy to install. What you wind up doing is removing the spider gears totaly and installing the locker. The only "hard" part is when putting those tiny springs in. Just make sure you use a small amount of grease to hold them in. You even use the original pin that holds it together so it rotates with the carrier. Good luck.
Old 09-28-1999, 08:05 PM

Hoov, have you actually installed a locker? If so, which one? Any reason why you picked that one as opposed to another? How long did it take you to do it? Is it true that I won't need to mess with the ring and pinion?

I'm just fishing for information as to which one to get. I've seen a few ads for the 8-3/8" rear, but I've been told that anything that works in the 8-1/4" will work in the 8-3/8" as well. Well, at least as far as the gears and a locker goes they'll interchange.
Old 09-28-1999, 08:54 PM
Mopars win..others whine

I have only helped on one. I have worked on rear ends before. I was a mechanic for 14 years before I got this cushy job.You will not have to mess with the ring and pinion in any way, other than to inspect them since you are already there. Any way it was an 8 3/4 and I really did a lot of watching. But it is easy. I do not have a clue on cross fitting the locker to different sizes though. The 8 3/4 we did on a bench cause you have to remove the front housing from the rear end. But on the other kind with the cover plate it should be easier. Remove the cover and drain the oil. If your axles are held in with the "C" clips inside you need to push in on the axle from the wheel side so you can remove the clips. If you do not have clips inside you will need to remove the wheel and drum and through the hole in the axle, remove the four bolts and pull on the axle just about 1 inch. This will let the spider gears fall out after you remove the pin that holds them all together. Remember which side the shims came from. Remove all four gears and keep the pin. There are or should be instructions that come with the locker, ours did. Just make sure you prelube everything before you assemble the parts. It goes together in halves, one side and then the other. After the halves are put in this is where you push your axles back in so you can put the clips in. This part is about a two man job because one needs to push the axles while the other holds the locker from falling out. Put the original pin back in and torque the keeper bolt that holds the pin in place. Spin the axles with your hands to see if it works. If it does just put the cover back on and refill with new 90w or whatever the manufacturer says. Might be a good idea to add a special lub just for posi units. I hope this helps. I tried to make it sound simple as best as I think I could have. Oh I almost forgot, it was an Auburn locker we put in I believe. Good luck.
Old 09-30-1999, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the description of the procedure to put one of those in, makes me feel a lot more at ease. What sort of vehicle did that go into? Is your freind that installed it happy with it? Have they had any complaints? I've heard rumors that some of these lockers can be a bit noisy. I've also heard that for short wheelbase vehicles they can make them act funny on icy roads. Does your friend have any problems like this? It does sound like something that I can handle. Especially now, the wife just bought me a nice set of Craftsman tools!

I'm almost ready to fire up my truck for the first time after installing the lower temp thermostat and all the other mods. As soon as I see what, if any, difference the thermostat makes, I'll post it here.

Regards,
400Magnum

[This message has been edited by 400Magnum (edited September 30, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by 400Magnum (edited October 01, 1999).]
Old 10-19-1999, 06:08 PM
Inactive User

400 Magmum,

What's the results of the stat change? Did it affect anything other than temperature?
Old 10-20-1999, 12:31 AM

Well, as a matter of fact, I haven't noticed any problem with heat yet. It's been down in the mid-30's to low-40's here for the last week or so every morning, and I've not ever wished I had more heat yet.

So far I still have the heater setting right about where I usually set it for this time of year, the temp setting just a little over half of the way over and the fan on low. Nice and toasty so far. I've got no complaint yet.

It may be a different story when things get sub-zero, but frankly, my truck is so poorly insulated that I may never see a difference!

To sum it all up, I myself don't feel any difference, and the truck is running better than ever with no knocking or pinging, gas mileage is up about 1 mpg (if I could keep off of the gas and drive normal it'd be better, but I'm having fun ) so I'd say go for it!

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-20-1999, 01:33 PM
Inactive User

Smile

4 X 4:

Here's the scoop on performance thermo's:

When you have consistent control of engine temperature - it allows your engine to operate at it's peak HP - supposedly no matter what the driving conditions are.

You stock stat just cylces open and closed and that reduces cooling efficiency. A performance thermostat will reduce you engine's temp (some people say that's why you get a slower response from your heater during the winter months).

Several aftermarket power stats are stainless - and you can probably get one at your local parts dealer for around 5 bucks.

Sorry for the slow response back . . . must be getting older . . .

Old 12-08-1999, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

Yes the 180 does help out. I did it 3 years ago in my JGC and it worked nicely with the JET II chip. Try the electric fan conversion and aurora ignition to round out the package and its quite responsive.
Old 06-16-2000, 03:44 PM

Question

I tried to get my dealership to install a JET 180 degree thermostat in my 2000 Dakota with the 4.7 l V8, but they do not want to do it. The garage manager claims that it'll goof things up for the stock computer and blow my mileage to smithereens. Any rebuttals from those who have 180's in stock engines? Mine has a K&N filter and Gibson muffler, but that's all. Please e-mail me if you can offer advice.

------------------
Brad Byers
Old 06-16-2000, 04:30 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have heard this also, but just in passing. I think it is something to install when you do the computer upgrade.

If the dealer says pass . . .

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."
Mid Michigan MOPAR Enthusiasts
Old 06-20-2000, 12:42 AM

A couple of guys in this area have switched to 180 degree thermostats. The engine does perform better, just like it does just before it gets fully warmed up; therefore, the computer keeps the mixture rich. The gas mileage usually drops 1.5 to 2.0 mph depending on how you drive and it may not pass state emissions testing. Prevents the computer from going into the OBD II run cycle.

Old 06-20-2000, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

I have a 180 degree thermostat in my 1997 Dakota 5.2 ---- I noticed no change in gas milage FOR the worse ! I belive it improved by a minimum of 1 Mpg . The biggest thing I did notice was that the A/C works much better now than ever before . I would recomend changing thermostats. I put in a High Flow unit that I bought from Auto Zone, The engine doesn't act different and there was no negative affects from the change in temp ......
Old 06-22-2000, 01:23 AM
Self proclaimed expert

I put the 180 degree thermostat in my SS/T after a 500 mile breakin. I got about 1mpg more and it felt much stronger on the street. The Magnum engines make their peak horsepower at about 183degrees, so you don't actually gain power, you just stay at the peak temperature more often. I spent $3 at NAPA. Thermostats aren't real complicated so I doubt one brand is much better than another. But at under $10 in 20minutes you can get a noticeable improvement and 1mpg. I wish all mods were that easy and effective.
Old 06-25-2000, 02:44 AM

I will try to put this as diplomatically as possible... I takes a few thousand miles to get a production engine broken in enough for the gas mileage to stabilize. My truck started at about 12 mpg and climbed to 16 mpg by 3k miles. As with so many things in life, and for engines in particular; you don't get something for nothing. Consider this, how do you make a lean burn engine perform better? By making the mixture richer. That is what the 180 degree stats do. I don't dispute that your data indicates that you are getting better gas mileage. But you can't fool mother nature, and I don't believe the thermostat is responsible for the increase. When I was in Engineering school, a lot of people talked about the "Fish" carburetor. How this magical device would make any car get 80 to 100 mpg and the only reason we didn't have it was because the oil companies were blocking it's use. The sad truth is that spark ignition engines are only about 45% thermally efficient, ans since we turn fossil fuels into heat...

[This message has been edited by IndyRam (edited June 27, 2000).]