Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-07-2002, 05:47 AM
Inactive User

Angry I'm going to buy a bicycle!

Just kidding, but I am tempted. LAtely every time I fix one thing on the car I find two more that need fixed.

On My 1997 Chrysler Concord, I replaced the EGR valve and control seloniod. The only good part is the Dodge dealer sold me the whole assembly (the valve and control seloniod) for way less than pep boys wanted! It was still about $115.

Anyhow, removing the EGR tube, one of the screws seizes and pulls the threds on the old EGR valve, the the EGR tube gasket drops down on the transmission. I go to pickup uo the gasket with one of these spring extention pickyp tools (whatever they are called) and it flips the gasket somewhee under the car where I can't find it. After too much time looking for the gasket, I decide to go back to removing the Valve. I get it off, after some other headaces gaining access to undo the bolts (valve is between the back of the block and the firewall.)
After dinner I use the airhose to blow air around under the car, and I eventually knock the missing gasket down to the ground!
I run the seized bolt through a die to clean up the threds and start re-installing the EGR valve and tube. While installing the tube I drop one of the EGR tube to intake manifold bolts, which again dissapears into the neitherlands of the back of the engine, never to be found again (so far?) I ended up using a different bolt to bolt up the tube.

After getting everything put back together, I take the car for a drive, and the check engine light still stays on?

Now it tells my the ignition is mis-firing?
I need to check if I bumped the coil / wires while working on the EGR valve as I was working in the same general area.

Same thing with the '69 Coronet R/T.
I fixed the power window, and while it is apart notice the window guides were installed wrong, and I think the window regulator was messing one side of the nylon bushing?

On the transmission, I install a new back-up switch, a new speedometer pinion (for the 4.10:1 gears), and change the transmission lube. I goto hook-up the speedometer cable and notice the spedometer pinion gear housing has been cross threded! So now I need to replace it, and hopefully not cover myself with the new transmission gear oil!
Old 04-07-2002, 11:55 AM
Inactive User

I know it seems frustrating at times but I always think that if I wasn't working on the Mopar, what else would I be doing? Be thankful that you can do it because there are thousands out there in wheel chairs and with other disabilities that would love to be able to have the chance to have your problems. It will all come together, remember if its "man made", then it can be "man fixed". Don't let it beat ya!
Old 04-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

Mr.Mopar - Nice of you to mention us folks who are disabled. When you are all screwed up physically, and broke besides, it is sometimes a real difficult thing to accomplish anything in the hobby we love.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:36 PM

I know how you feel about dropping stuff down the back. My distributor wrench likes to separate at the middle and drop it's back half down there, and I've had the distributor clamp fall down there before too. When we did the intake the back kickdown spring fell down there to never be seen again.

Working on a Taurus once one of the thermostat bolts broke off in the intake. What a pain that was. I hate working on newer cars.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Wow, Doug Wilson, all those vehicles in your footer and you're disabled? How the heck do you do it? All the power to ya!!
Old 04-08-2002, 05:45 AM
Inactive User

I hear you, I'm just venting!
I plan to get some of my car problems sorted out tomorrow.

I have three friends with disabilities, two are paralyzed and in wheel chairs. The sad part is they both were paralyzed in drive-by shootings. My older friend is a guy I met at work. He was working in California and shot by some kid in a gang initiation, a totally random victim. He just got done restoring a 1966 Corvette that won first place at last years Chevy show. My other friend is a younger kid, just about 20 now. When he was in High School, he got in an argument with some kids and later they shot-up his truck with him in it. He has a Challenger that he drives and races. Another friend and I built a pretty stout 360 engine for the challenger, and it runs really good.
My third friend has really bad arthritis in his hands that makes it very hard for him to wrench on his Camaro. He has a tricked out LT1 350 with FI, CNC ported aluminum heads, extrude honed intake, etc. I keep telling him he needs a Mopar since his Camaro is so slow
Old 04-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Well... there is none of that Godawful stuff going on with me - just a heart that doesn't work. As to the cars - I've got 6 kids to turn wrenches, when they're around.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:26 PM
Inactive User

You guys have got some real bad things going on around there. I live in a very small town that hardly even has a police cruiser to drive through it! The biggest thing that happened around here is when the local post office got broke into by some amateur thieves. They were caught 10 days later. The local liquor store got robbed by two kids, one 15 and one 17, they pointed a knife at the clerk and ran out with some booze and a little cash. No drive bys yet (I hope), and its pretty quiet around here. I can smoke em up all the way down my street and nothing would happen... no cops around to see it. One way to power tune the Mopar without getting caught! I am glad to be where I am and glad to be able to converse with the rest of you guys.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

there is one thing doug fergot to tell ya, he's got a big block strapped to that wheelchair, that keeps him busy!!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Inactive User

I sleep better now that I moved out to the "Burbs".
I used to live in a not so great part of town. A week before we moved to the new house three people, standing at a corner, were shot in a drive-by about three blocks from my house.

I miss the old house's 4-car garage, but I like the neighborhood that the new house is in.
And so far, at the new house, I haven't woken up early in the morning to find the cops chasing people through the yard. This actually happened at the old house. Some kids dumped a stolen car down the block when the cops were chasing them, and they ran through the yard to the alley behind the house.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

Colorado, eh? I recently stayed in a motel in Colorado. I was awakened at 3:00am by the sound of a police chopper overhead with his searchlight on.
I like it here, where a friend was being stalked and the officer told me "if you find him, beat the shit out of him. Wait about a half hour and call me." (I was waiting at her house, not looking for him at his, that's different.) That kind of service to the public is hard to find.
Prison life is fitting for him. A long haired fish is good to find for some. I hear he is quite busy now.
451MoPar- I feel for you. Ever notice that the big stuff goes ridiculously easily and the little stuff that should take 2-6 minutes takes 4-5 hours? Something to check that may be different on yours from mine, and probably is, when I removed my intake, I knocked off the 2" hose on the EGR solenoid sensor thingie. I got the same engine code EGR (34 on mine), removed the EGR and resealed it 3 times before pulling the whole thing and seeing that.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

If I lit 'em up on my so-called street they rocks would strip the paint and the dirt would change the color of the car. Our town is about 1500 people or so: 4 pizza joints/bars/restaurants/dives, 1 traffic light, 1 gas station, 2 hardware stores(don't know why, just is), 1 feed store, 2 parts stores (NAPA and CarQuest) and last year's high school graduating class was 39.

I'm movin' ! Can't stand the population pressure - 2 years ago an 11 year old kid threatened to do a drive by as soon as he could see over the steering wheel. His Dad whipped his ass, and no more was heard of that. The last kid that got busted for doing dope, the cops found out he had paid $50 for a baggy of cat nip... the kid got laughed at so hard that he started being decent.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

Hey Doug, thats a good story, I laughed my ass off!! My neighbour accused my dog of crapping on his lawn and he was going to kill it with his gun if she ever did it again. I promply called the cops and they finally got back to me about 3 days later and said that they just talked to him and he said that he doesn't even own a gun and it was just a threat. They didn't even pay him a visit... what if hes lying....geez, my little town has 750 people in it and is just about as dismal a place to live in as yours. I came from a little bigger place of about 15,000 and I rather liked it. My new job brought me to the small town and thats all otherwise I couldn't see myself staying here. When I'm old enough to retire... I'm otta here! There is nothing here to do but work on the Mopar. Winter drives me insane. Please let it warm up soon, please, please, please. And don't think I've never dropped anything while working on my cars, never to be found again. Where the hell does that stuff go?
Peace out!
Old 04-09-2002, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

451 Mopar - If you ever get frustrated with either of the Coronets, I will gladly take one or both off your hands. Either would look great next to my 69 Bee!! Sell it to me - problem solved!!

I can relate to the small town stories as I grew up in Eastern Montana in a town of 1500 people. 40 students in my graduating class.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:33 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
I'm movin' ! Can't stand the population pressure - 2 years ago an 11 year old kid threatened to do a drive by as soon as he could see over the steering wheel. His Dad whipped his ass, and no more was heard of that.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:50 AM
Inactive User

Thank's guys. I checked out the EGR problem per the FSM, and the egr pressure transducer had a blown diphram. The EGR valve itself checked out OK. I went to the dealer to buy the transducer part, and they sold me the entire EGR "kit", that had the valve, the transducer and the two hoses going to the EGR. So, I replaced both, but I think when I pulled the intake ducting out for access to work on removing/installing the EGR valve, I may have bumped the ignition coil pack, and dammaged it or the spark plug wires?

The car actually runs fine, I just need to get rid of the "check engine" light.

I'm not selling the '69 Coronets. Ever since I bought the Convertible last year, I have had several offers on it