Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-07-2002, 06:53 PM
Inactive User

Default crane roller rockers

help ! does anyone know the correct way to adjust
the valves on a 440 with crane roller rockers ,as all the mopars i've had have had non -adjustable rockers i'm not sure how to do them . i did what the paper said to do that came with the rockers ,but the car ticks pretty loudly under load at about 3000 rpm,but it doesn't make any noise at idle . did i get them to tight or not tight enough? thanks guys,,,,zebber
Old 04-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

get the MP valve lash adjustment decal, it's the most accurate procedure to follow. Be sure the lash dimension asked for (.028" etc.) is what you've set the lash at. Noise should be slight or none at idle and go away at higher RPM. How's you're oil pressure?.....djs
Old 04-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Inactive User

i have a mopar performance high volume oil pump and it carries about 80 lbs pressure. the crane instuctions say to adjust them to 0 lash then 1/2 to 3/4 turns more .
Old 04-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

I'm assuming you still have hydrualic lifters.

Follow the crane instructions.

This "zero lash" talk is like chinese to us mopar guys, but common for brand x folk.

You want to get zero lash by adjusting the valve clearance to exactly zero, with no lifter preload(done while lifter is on base circle, sometime in compression stroke)

then adjust them the 1/2 to 3/4 turn tighter as suggested.

1/2 to 3/4 turn seems a little slack, after working on a chevy. If the lifters are noisy, and you've already followed the insructions, I'd try a little tighter. Move it up a 1/4 of turn. I wouldn't put them any tighter then 1 1/2 turns, though.

If you have solid lifters, then you need to find a clearance spec, and adjust the valve clearance with a feeler strip.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

I did this last time, starting with number 1 firing cylinder, turn over engine by hand until intake & exhaust lobe are on base circle of cam.

Tighten adusting screw on rocker arm until plunger piston inside lifter is almost bottomed out with oil drained out of lifter ( this takes a few minutes for the oil to bleed out ), don't over tighten the adustment.

Then I open a set of vernier calipers out to 0.030 gap, using the pushrod cup base as a measurement point I watch the movement as I adust the adjustment screw back off until 0.030 is measured off, then tighten the locking nut.

You can scratch a mark anywhere on the pushrod for a reference point if you want, the preload can be up to 0.060 if you want.

If clearance exists between the pushrod & the seat in the hydraulic lifter, after it's been set, there will be no lifter preload, so the valvetrain will be noisey because hydraulic force generated by the lifter is against the retaining lock, which is not a good situation, reset the prelaod..