Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Inactive User

Default convert to electric fuel pump 440cid

Hi, I am thinking of replacing my mechanical fuel pump with an electric, on my 1969 440 GTX using a Holley 750 double pump carb with mechanical choke.
Is this a wise idea?

What brand?
Where is best location for install?
Do you still use the fuel vapor return line?

Many thanks in advance : )
Old 04-08-2002, 05:19 AM

Any good brand of fuel pump should do the job, just try to get a decent quality pump. An electric fuel pump should be mounted as close to the tank as possible, to reduce the amount of line it has to draw the fuel thru, this will help it come up to operating pressure, faster. Also, you're most likely going to need a regulator, or you may overpower the needle and seat in your carbureator. More than a few folks have filled their oil pan with gasoline this way! There are more considerations, those who run an electric fuel pump on a regular basis may have more tips. If your 440 is basically stock, and you're not having a fuel starvation problem, I'd probably stick with the mechanical fuel pump. It's a lot less noisy, and you also don't have to worry about it not shutting off, when the engine isn't running. Electric fuel pumps, except on cars that came with them originally, are more of a racing piece, even though a lot of folks do use them on the street.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:08 AM
Inactive User

I would keep the vapor return line. You can get reproduction vapor cannister from Fellwocks Auto Parts for $45 (Part #867A.)
Their Phone #866-335-5962

I would try running the Carter High Volume Strip fuel pump also, and check the fuel pump pushrod for wear.
Summit sells the Carter (#CRT-M4862) fuel pump for $59.95.
The ad says the pump puts out 8.5PSI, but mine seems to put out less? It should be OK with a Holley Carb, and with the higher pressure, you can alaways run a regulator to reduce the pressure.

I'm not sure what is the best electric fuel pump if you decide to go that way. Someone said the Mallory 140 was pretty good. It sells for $224 (includes pressure regulator.)