Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-08-2002, 07:16 AM
Inactive User

Default Cam Shafted

I have read about what cam for what engine, but does a stroker motor need a cam specifically designed for it, to allow for differences in piston speeds etc, if indeed there is a difference. I have a half inch stroked 440 using a MP .528 lift cam, but I want to go bigger. Are standard type grinds the way to go?
Old 04-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

You can slide in anything you want so long as it clears the pistons really. A spec. design cam for your engine, stoker or not, would be a cam designed for a very particular need. In example, a cam speced for strickly racing or for a mud puller.
For general purpose or HP needs on the street, this would bennifit you when ALL info is given about the engine and car with intended use.
Be specific and get specific results. Go general, get general results. Not to say general is a bad thing, just not specific.

Also, with big cube engines, they seem to swallow up the big cam problems that a smaller engine has with the same cam. So going larger may not be a problem due to increased dispalcement.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:33 AM
Inactive User

Thanks. It was a general question, I was curiuos as to whether to get a larger 440 grind, or as to whether someone does a grind to allow for the different configuration of a stroker.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

Stroker engines want alot of airflow, but usually run at lower RPMs. If you have the heads that can supply the airflow, you may want to run higher ratio rocker arms to lift the valve more.
Also because of the engine size you can use a bigger duration cam than normal and still have good low end torque.