Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:51 PM

Default Ignition woes again

Different car though. My Mitsubishi Diamante 3.0 (Dodge 91-96 products also) just up and died at an intersection this morning. Ignition troubles. I get it towed home, about 300 yards, and get down to checking stuff. I got gas out of the fuel line at crank, and I got spark only of I remove the distributor, put the high tension line from the coil to the block, and spin the distributor. When I put it all back together, I get no spark at the #1 or even at the high tension wire to the coil. It has a brand new cap, rotor and now a 130.00 ignition module. Im contemplating getting a new coil, but I get a good spark when I spin the distributor! It times OK at the front OHC and the crank (TDC=dot to dot). I even got continuity from the cap to all the contacts. I checked spark plug wires. Im running out of options. The distributor is turning.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:48 AM
Inactive User

check for a broken wire at the dist you maybe pinching one once you put it back together just a thought
Old 04-10-2002, 01:08 AM

Man, I feel stupid. You know the saying, "check the cheap stuff first"? Well, it was my "new" 7 buck rotor. It was all but 2 weeks old. Upon further inspection, I found myself getting the 20,000 volt zap if I held the distributor clear of all ground and spun the rotor. The friggin rotor had a burn clear through the top into the metal contact. It was arcing inside the shaft socket and going right to ground (shaft) of course it was going through me when I held it. It was rather difficult to diagnose because I was doing all the distributor troubleshooting with the cap off, but looking back it should have been one of the first things I looked at. Oh well, that is one for the books. Never had a rotor go BAD on me, and I never will again.