Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:02 AM
Inactive User

Question Shifter for Manual Valve Body

My Satellite has a TQ 727 that has been reworked with a reverse pattern manual valve body (I don't know the manufacturer) and I would like to replace the stock shifter with something that has a positive stop between gears. The stock shifter just has a detent and it just pops through between the gears as I shift through.

I am looking at the B&M Megashifter for the ratchet action. Any comments or suggestions on this?? Most of the driving will be on the street and I would particularly appreciate hearing form anyone who has experience with this type of shifter.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Ratchet Shifters

I had a B&M QuickClick on my bracket race '68 Coronet. It was reliable and relatively easy to install. This particular design is no longer available because it does not have a reverse lock-out (if shifting towards neutral, you could miss it and hit reverse).

The one thing you have to be careful of is the routing of the shifter cable away from exhaust heat. I melted one and could not shift out of Park. I had a helper stand on the brake with the engine running while I crawled under the car, disconnected the cable end and set the shift arm in 2nd. I was then able to drive home. These are the lessons you never forget!!!
Old 04-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

for years i've used a HURST PRO MATIC II with my 727 with a SCS Chetta reverse man valve body($132.95) works like a charm but like pete said watch how you route the cable to keep it away from the exuast heat
Old 04-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Inactive User

bump