Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Inactive User

Default Holley Six-Pack Adjusting

Hi,
here in Germany the temperature is slowly rising and the winter is getting over. So it`s time to wake up the car out of his hibernation. I have a 440 engine with Holley six-pack carburetors in my 69 charger. I have a question to the idle mixture screws adjusting:
I know the adjusting process of a single 2300 carburetor. Installing a vacuum gauge on the engine and turning the first idle mixture screw to the highest reading and then the other one on the other side. But my outboard carburetors have also each 2 idle mixture screws in front of the throttle bodies. And how is the process now? I would say the same, only that i have now 6 screws to adjust (2 of the center carburetor, 2 of the front and 2 of the rear carburetor). But I have another problem, i`m not able to reach the screws on the rear outboard carburetor, because they are in front of the throttle body and so the center carburetor is in the way. The only way that comes in my mind is to adjust the center and the front ones, then change the rear and the front carburetors and adjust the rear one, which is sitting now in front. After that rechange the two outboards. What is the right way?
How many turns should I approximately set the 6 screws before I first start the engine?
Thanks for any help.
Greetings from Germany
Jakob
Old 04-09-2002, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

I doubt you would need to adjust the outer carbs.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

it's actually pretty easy.warm it up and adjust the center carb with your vacuum gauge.

now look down into the throat of the end carb and you will see four air bleeds.cover the outer two bleeds with your fingers.if the engine gains rpm,it's lean.if it loses rpm it's rich.to richen the mixture turn the idle screws counter-colckwise,to lean it out turn them clockwise.

i always adjust my front carb first,then duplicate the setup on the rear carb,it has always gotten me close.

be careful with those little brass screws,they can be fragile.

good luck.

later,sean
Old 04-10-2002, 02:22 PM
Inactive User

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot for your help, I am gonna try it this way comming weekend.
Greetings
jakob
Old 04-10-2002, 08:43 PM
Inactive User

on those outer carbs, do not adjust them more than 1/2 to 1 full turn. if you adjust them any more you will have your engine run really rich, send gas thru your piston rings, score your bearings, foul your plugs, and cause all kinds of havoc!!!! thake it from the experienced. you dont want to do a lower bearing job. it sucks!!!