Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-12-2002, 11:26 AM
Inactive User

Default 2000 PCM in a 2001

After reading and posting on the Ram message board (and talking to Marty at KRC), we've determined that the 2000 Mopar performance PCM works in the 2001s . . . sometimes. It sounds like it works 50 - 60% of the time. Though as far as I know, no one has tried it in a Durango yet (only Rams and Dakotas with the 5.9s).
I just ordered a '00 PCM from Marty, so I should have some results in a couple of days. The performance results just sound tooooo good not to give this a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll have a 2000 PCM with low miles for sale. I'll keep everyone posted.

NightBandit
Old 04-12-2002, 09:15 PM
Inactive User

Question pcm

is it a 00 2wd pickup one i take?- if it doesn't work-i'll take it
Old 04-12-2002, 10:33 PM
Inactive User

Yes, it is a 2-wheel drive performance PCM. They don't make 4-wheel drive versions anymore (at least not for the past couple of years). As I understand it, the 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive PCMs are almost identical, there is just a little more timing in the older 4x4 versions since a 4x4 is a little heavier and it takes a little more to get it moving. All 4x4 parts are mechanical and vacuum, so the 2x4 PCM works on a 4x4.
blownoffroadste, if it doesn't work in my truck, you're first on my list. I didn't get my VIN burned into it yet just in case it doesn't work, so it'll work for you (or whoever else buys it).

NightBandit
Old 04-13-2002, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

Default ok

keep us posted!
Old 04-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

If I'm reading your message correctly, Marty is claiming the Dakotas will handle this switch? This is contrary to what I've heard and the reason given for the "no go" was that the connector pinouts had changed from 2000 to 2001 model years. Brad Biddell in Texas tried this on his '01 R/T and researched the pinout issue supposedly.

Will be interesting if you have any luck as I have both a Dakota and Durango in '01 model years. I don't understand Marty's claim of 50-60% either. For something electronic like that it's either going to work or not. There isn't enough difference between 2x4, 4x4, Fed or Cali PCMs to justify that success rate.

Please do keep us posted.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:52 PM
Inactive User

Default 2000 PCM

graphiteRT,

I don't know all the technical details, but according to Marty and several people on the Ram chat, the 2000 PCM DOES work in the 2001s (at least for the 5.9s) . . . sometimes. They say that it's just a hit or miss affair. Maybe it has something to do with the build dates. I don't know. With as many good things as I've heard about the performance PCM, I figured that I had to give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I don't think that I'll have any problems reselling it. Mine is still on the way, but I'll post my results once I get it in.

NightBandit
Old 04-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Inactive User

Default nighbandit

is it working? is it 4 sale????
Old 04-26-2002, 02:11 AM
Inactive User

Default 2000 performance PCM is in 2001

Ok, I finally got my 2000 performance PCM today and I had it installed within 10 minutes of it arriving on my doorstep. First of all, let me just say that the performance increace is unbelievable! It really pinned me to the back of my seat. All the things that I thought might cause me probles (rear A/C, dual climate control, four wheel drive) work perfectly. I only have one problem, but unfortunately it' a biggie.
My gauges don't work. No speedo, no tach, no oil, no gas, no odometer, no nothing (yes, I know that's a double negative). This is a problem that I can't live with. I talked to Marty at KRC and he said that this is one of the possible problems that some people are having. He said that trying a different PCM won't help, it's my truck. So now it's back to the drawing board.
The performance increase was so incredible (even after only 75 miles), that I'll never be happy with my stock PCM again. I'll need to get it flashed. From what I can find, the only two companies that can flash the 2001 PCMs are B&G and KenneBell. Has anyone had and experiences (good or bad) with either of these companies? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

NightBandit
Old 04-26-2002, 03:52 AM
Inactive User

Yep, same results I had when I tested this theory a year ago or so. Even tried it in other 01's with the same result. If your interested in the B&G custom flash, I'd get move on it before they stop doing it. Take care
Old 04-26-2002, 05:04 AM
Inactive User

travsrt,

Why would they stop flashing them? I would think that there would be a large demand since Mopar isn't making the PCM for the 2001s (and newer). I would guess that they'd get the whole market (minus a little to KenneBell) from here on out. We still want to modify our trucks even if they (MOPAR) don't want us to (no PCMs and M-1s almost impossible to get). Anyway, I was just curious why you thought that they'd stop flashing 2001s. Thanks.

NightBadit
Old 04-27-2002, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

Default 2000 pcm

OK I have a question....... What does this pcm cost? I have a 2000 5.9 and would like to get the pcm for it. I have one of those lame Jet Chips in my D and it doesnt work. Other than keeping my warning lights on most of the time. When i purchased mine the only place to get a perfromance pcm was Mother Mopar and you know how expensive that would be. I ordered one through Kenne Belle and they called me back and said it wouldnt be available without the supercharger. Which i would have loved to get the whole thing.. but i do have other more important things to take care of first. Like groceries and rent..... but one day maybe. Hey a guy can dream cant he. Anyway if anyone has one on their D let me know how well it works and how much of my arm or leg they want for it.(or both) Later folks!!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 05:46 PM
Inactive User

Default 2000 PCM

Ok i called Ma Mopar and they want 425.00 for theirs. Is it as good as the after market? Or should i try somewhere else for one? I know you have to pay for performance but man this is getting expensive.......... If anyone out there knows anymore than i do about these things let me know. I need to make a decision which place gets my arm and leg. He** i might as well give em up sooner or later!!!!! Thanks, Johnny
Old 04-27-2002, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Default CM Price

Johnny,

The MOPAR performance PCM that I just bought (and that doesn't work in my 2001 R/T) set me back $330 at KRC Performance (www.krcperformance.com). You can also occasionally find them on e-bay.

NightBandit
Old 04-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

Default that pcm

can be had for $287 shipped from randy pyle @www.worldwideperformanceparts.com
Old 05-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Inactive User

Default 2000 pcm

It is on the way!!!!
Old 05-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Inactive User

NightBandit:

So now whatcha gonna do? Let me ask ya this, when you install the performance PCM, don't you have to use the high octain stuff? I mean, soon that stuff will be around $2.00 a gal. Then it'll stay there or even higher for the rest of the summer because, it's like the oil people told congress, "We can!"

I like the idea of more performance in #3, but I don't want ta feed it Kickapoo Joy Juice. I'm quite happy feeding #3, 87 octain. I am cheap. Keep us posted.

Later
Ugg
Old 05-11-2002, 02:06 PM
Inactive User

Default 2000 PCM

It arrived today and it took about ten minutes to install. I will say this it is the easiest performance upgrade to do and it does make a noticeable difference. I could tell the most power difference in low end and a big difference after the tranny shifted into 3rd at about 80 miles an hour. Before i installed the pcm after the shift into 3rd it would bogg a little but now it doesnt do that at all. Folks i have one thing to say. If you want the most performance for you buck get a Performance PCM..... plain and simple. Oh by the way i have always put the 93 octane in mine since the day my local dodge dealer showed me the bulletin from Dodge stating that the 5.9 needs 90 or higher octane to perform the way it should. You should stop and ask you local dealer for the bulletin.

Johnny
Old 05-11-2002, 02:29 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: 2000 PCM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Howard
...... Oh by the way i have always put the 93 octane in mine since the day my local dodge dealer showed me the bulletin from Dodge stating that the 5.9 needs 90 or higher octane to perform the way it should. You should stop and ask you local dealer for the bulletin.

Johnny
Johnny, not all of the D's need the higher octane stuff. Mid '01 they started "de-tuning" them and the timing/fuel tables are not nearly as aggressive as before. I can run 87 in my '01 R/T and even under load never hear it pinging. It as a late build truck.

Back to the B&G flash, for anyone who is interested, the group buy price of $500 will end next week. From all initial reports this flash is quite aggressive, probably even stronger than the MP flash by a fair amount. For '01 and up it's really the only viable option for a performance flash. Also make note that Dave at BG has made it clear he will not do these indefinitely. Whether that's a bluff to generate immediate business or the reality, snoozing on this one may result in no options for the '01 and up trucks. I've got mine done for my Dakota. No intention of doing it for the Durango since the wife doesn't want me hotrodding it
Old 05-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Inactive User

Default 2000 PCM

i have a 2000 model and was advised by my dealer that running anything higher than 90 would void my warranty. Then i had to get my PCM reflashed by the dealer and that is when he showed me the service bulletin. I read it with my own eyes and it was directed at the 2000 5.9. Just passing some info on.

Johnny
Old 05-12-2002, 03:21 AM
Inactive User

Default Chips for '01s

It sounds as if I only have three choices left for my '01 R/T. The B&G flash, a Kenne Bell flash or the UniChip. I'd like to hear about the results people are getting from the B&G or Kenne Bell flashes before I go that route.
The UniChip really interests me though (for information, check out
www.racersgroup.com/theprogram_unichip.html). It is a piggy back chip that is tuned to your particular vehicle. The chip itself is cheaper than the flashes, but since the chip needs to be tuned on a dyno (several pulls), the installed price can set you back $500-$600. But since the chip is tuned to your particular truck, it takes into account all you mods (exhaust, intakes, cams, TBs, etc.). Plus you get some REAL before and after hp numbers.
Right now I'm leaning towards the UniChip, but I'm going to wait until I finish all my other mods first. I don't want to have to (want to) have the chip re-tuned after each new mod.
Ugg, you'll like this, the chip can be tuned so that you can use whatever grade of gas you want. If you want to use 87, fill up your tank with 87 before you get the chip tuned and you will have your timing advanced as far as posible before it starts pinging with 87 octane. If you want your truck souped up more, put in either 90 or 93 before you bring it in and the timing will be advanced even more. Just remeber that whatever grade fuel you have in your truck when you get the chip tuned is the minimum that you'll have to use as long as you have the chip in your truck.
Another nice thing is that since it's a piggy back chip, if you do any towing, you can pull the chip and you'll be right back to stock (MOPAR doesn't recommend any towing with their performance PCM). Or if you live in a state that makes you take an emissions test, you can pull the chip and pass with flying colors (depending on your other mods). Plug the chip back in and you're back to your high performance settings.
Now I don't work for UniChip (nor even endorse them yet). As a matter of fact, I hadn't even heard about them until last week when I was talking to Dan "the fastman" Arcand. He suggested the UniChip option to me.
I'm not saying that everyone should run out and get this chip, but it is another option for those of us with '01s and newer models to think about.
Sorry for being so long winded. I'm done now.

NightBandit
Old 05-13-2002, 04:39 PM
Inactive User

Nightbandit, I just talked with Dan about the Unichip. In my case(blower soon to be installed), the SplitSec box makes more sense. BG will still have features that can be altered over and above the Unichip(shift points and torque management). The Unichip alters fuel and spark, but not much else.

Also FYI, the Unichip is not currently available for the '01. A box is in transit from South Africa according to the importer, so they will be available within a couple of short weeks.

IOW, it's still an option, but clearly understand the pros and cons of it before committing your money.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Inactive User

Default UniChip

graphiteRT,

Thanks for the info. Yes, when I talked to Dan, he said that even though they (UniChip) claim to be able to do more (like speed limiters, shift points), they really only control fuel and spark. IF I do go with the UniChip, it won't be for a while yet anyway (I wonder why the installer said that he could install it in my Durango) so hopefully the chip needed will be in the States.
I just read a post on the RamChat where someone said that they just got their PCM flashed for their 5.9 Ram by Kenne Bell. He said that he didn't feel any noticable difference and that he was very dissapointed.
Hopefully I'll hear soon from someone who got the B&G flash. I hate spending that amount of cash without it being recommended from a couple of different sources. Maybe I'll put the flash on my Father's Day wish list.

NightBandit
Old 05-13-2002, 07:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: UniChip

Quote:
Originally posted by NightBandit
graphiteRT,

........Hopefully I'll hear soon from someone who got the B&G flash. I hate spending that amount of cash without it being recommended from a couple of different sources. Maybe I'll put the flash on my Father's Day wish list.

NightBandit
Well, I've got the BG flash, but unfortunately part of my motor is still lying on my garage floor. I just picked up what I hope are the last few odds and ends to finish up the top end on my truck. Besides all new stuff, I "purty'd it up" with cerachrome and regular chrome work on some of the parts. Plus had to figure out a clean way to attach the stock fuel line to a set of Holley fuel rails.

Hopefully finish bolting it all together tonight. Will let it sit overnight to allow the intake sealant to take hold, then fire it up in the AM.

I won't be a good source for a back-to-back comparison since the whole top end has changed, but all initial reports I've seen posted on the BG flash have been quite positive(see Delphi R/T forum and dodgetrucks dot org). Common issue seems to be pinging which says the flash is fairly aggressive.