Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-12-2002, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

Default parts for 69 newyorker

except from hearing it from my uncle and my dad, what does everyone think i should do to the car i way of achieving faster 1/4's. with my foward timeing and dual exhaust she ran 14.76@99mph. i want a 13.76@??????. i will greatly apprieciate your input. (gotta destroy my rice burner friends.)(honda's)
Old 04-13-2002, 12:33 AM
Inactive User

LOL Thats pretty good for a Battle ship. That's by definition a "sleeper". Being that big of car, I would look at the weight. I have been told that every 100 lbs you loose will equal 1/10 sec gain. So 1000 lbs would be 1 sec faster. I probably figure you dont want to hack your car up. And pretty sure no companys make glass body parts! How about aluminum wheels? Some how rig up cold air to your carb. Take a look at your gear ratio and torq converter. How about 3.91 's and a 2000 stahl? If you havent got them already. Drivabilty should be to badd, just gas milage LOL!
Old 04-13-2002, 12:46 AM
Inactive User

I saw an article in a mopar mag, where they advertised "take 3-4 seconds off your et with no engine modifications!!"

I think that's how it went. Anyway, they started with an early 60's imperial 4dr with a 426 wedge engine. Ran something like 14.99 or 15.2.

Then they started. They started cutting pieces off, and running the car lighter, and lighter. Got down to a firewall, frame 440, and a seat with a driver stuck in it, running 11's.

No false advertising. Missleading? maybe.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:17 AM
Inactive User

Maybe before lightening, try some suspension tricks. Disconnect the front sway bar, clamps on the front of the rear springs. Really only if you have traction problems. Pump the front tire air pressures up. Discconect any accessory belts. Of course not really ideal for a true street car, but its a start. As for weight move the battrey to the back. Get rid of the A/C compressor and all the A/C stuff (However I am keeping them on mine) Another thing is maybe try a shorter rear tire. Put buckets in it. Not sure if they actually are lighter but I would think so. Go to manual windows. ditch the flip up headlight system (If you have) If so you willing to seel it? Just some ideas for now. I post some more as I think of them

Bob
Old 04-13-2002, 02:26 AM
Inactive User

I think we pretty much answered all this in your other post, yesterday and today, didn't we?

Besides, in your other post you just said your dad wouldn't let you do anything other than gears.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:03 PM
Inactive User

Default parts

you are right he doesnt want me to have all the parts now but when the pink slip has my name on it is when i do all the parts. so i guess till after im 18
Old 04-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Inactive User

Default ATTN: 440BB

440 - Waiting for anything is always tough. It's a lot tougher when you're 16. Hesperia is right close to where hot rodding was born and lots of the action in our sport is within 100 miles of you. I know you want to make your car as quick as you can right now, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards for you, based on getting parts.

There are huge numbers of things you can do between now and then. Hanging around this board and asking questions is a great place to start. Going to the drags when you can and talking to racers and crew chiefs is another. You probably don't like reading much, but you should be reading everything you can so you will know what goes on in a race car. Engines are the most romantic part of fast cars, but all the horsepower in the world isn't worth a damn if you can't get it to the ground. So that means figure out what chassis do and how to make them better. Learn math as much as you can - it's everywhere in the sport.

Do stuff like rebuild your carb, overhaul your brakes, put shocks on. Start to build your own tool box. Ask for tools for birthday and Christmas.

None of us learned how to do this overnight. None of us (except Rumblefish) is made out of money. We all have to wait and save to get the stuff we want, and I guarantee you, NONE of us gets it when we want it. Sometimes, we even buy stuff that, when we put it on, it doesn't work.

Try going to page 315 and read everything on this forum, working back to now. When you run across something you don't understand, ask us. We will try to help and not blow you off. In not a very long time, you will find you have things to add that will help US.

Try this stuff and stay around here.

Best of luck from... Doug
Old 04-14-2002, 02:35 PM
Inactive User

Default 69 stuff

i did do the shocks aready, a few weeks ago, the car doesnt lean when i turn anymore. and yeah you said it get tools for christmas i did last year, i bought a big rolling tool box. and now i have a @#$^ load of tools. oh yeah i finally got him to let me get some of the stuff i want now. that took a little while. you also say near here is were most hotrodding is born. hell yeah! sure theres alot of rice cookers, but there are so many 60's muscle cars here. mostly chevy<---- but the mopars are quicker.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Inactive User

Good going!! Let us know how things are going.

Best to you from.... Doug