Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-15-2002, 01:58 AM
Inactive User

Default I want more power

I have a 1986 Dodge Ram 100 318 at and 2wd. I want to get more power from my truck but still get past emissions in Oregon. I don't care what i do, whether it be to get a new motor or not. I want to do this but not break the bank. Any advice would be great.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:04 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

MoPar performance has a nice line of products to beef up the 318 nice. Read the post "MoPar Performance" posted by George.
Crane also has cams for the Magnum engine, roller rockers are becoming avalible.
A centrifical S/Charger is also a good choice.
Just pay attention to the parts being installed for the leagal end. They should have an EO/CARB number.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

the biggest/cheapest gain you are going to get is by changing the rear gears,after that,headers,dual pipes with hi-flowing cats and mufflers...I don't know what kind of emissions you have to pass...but like Rumblefish said,if you use CARB parts,you should pass...
Old 04-16-2002, 01:57 AM
Inactive User

thanx for the the help, but where can i get a catalog or something that has all of these mopar parts. I look in the Summit and Jegs catalogs but the don't have very much. Also i talked to someone that put 340 heads on a 318. Is that a good idea and if can't find 340 heads, what about 360 heads. One more thing, my motor is not a Magnum, maybe it is supposed to be but it's not and it's the original block.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:50 AM
Inactive User

340 heads will fit a 318,but you will lose alot of low end,which I don't think is your goal,360 heads will also bolt on,but there abain,the gain will mostly be mid-top end,in 86 you chould have 302 heads,these are an EXCELLENT performance head for the 318,if you have some minor porting done on them you shold improve your low-mid range,just remeber,the more porting you do,the farther the power band move UP...

from what I have seen summit has a fair amount,concidering what everyone else has...
try Hughes www.hughesengine.com I think
you can also find parts on crane,comp,edelbrock,holley and othe sites,and have it special ordered...
Old 04-16-2002, 01:56 PM
Inactive User

hello! from norway here...sorry for my bad english.
I own a ram w250, and asked the same question as you, just a few weeks ago, people tell me a lot, cant remember everything, but raise the compression by milling is one way to go, and a new cam, edelbrock has a cam, I don't know , ...think it's called performer plus cam, i read one place that it is a good cam for some more power(270degree), i also have ported my head a bit! give a lot! i ported the bowls in the exhaust, and polished it. plus smooth out the valve guides...
i have also the edelbrock performer intake. I got an adress from anyone out here to a place who was VERY good, but I can't remember the adress... i've found this one

http://www.off-road.com/dodge/tech/318power.html

hey!i found the really good site! here it is:
http://www.geocities.com/alwest_83/318

oki...good luck!

...its www.hughesengines.com
Old 04-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Well, you have found a good site. This fella did some good work and backed it up with a dyno. When you do that, your doin the right thing as to prove your work. Thumbs up to a Mr. West
http://www.geocities.com/alwest_83/318
This site can give more info then Randys Ring and Pinion. Just askem and we'll answer.
The problem is passing the sniffer. And what your wallet holds.
A little research on your half to find out what could be had in '86 engine wize and option wise is the first start. Then look for part numbers with EO#'s & CARB #'s. These are leagal bolt on's for your engine.
Summit racing and Jegs are good starts. MoPar Performance parts are not allways leagal parts to put on. Weather the OK for emmissions or not.
Things like hi-flow cats and mufflers, Leagal headers, MSD or = ignition, K&N air cleaner, roller rocker are expensive but worth a few more ponys.
The Edel.Performer is legal with the stock carb. A few more HP there. Cam choices are thin.
But, thats what it'll take to pass the sniffer.
Theres also a S/Charger.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

The Edelbrock Performer intake will be nice, but it must come equipped with an EGR. An Edelbrock 600cfm carb should work just fine (you'll want the model #1400 so it has the bowl vent to pass smog). Let me know if you need one, got one for sale at about half the cost of new.