Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-16-2002, 12:33 AM
Inactive User

Default Holley (Double Pumper vs Spreadbore)

Which is better? Your opinions please.

Mike
Old 04-16-2002, 01:12 AM
Inactive User

Default Holley vs. Spreadbore

Mike, Holley has a good reputation for all-out performance which cannot be denied. They are ubiquitous and preferred by many racers and street enthusiasts but have the reputation as performance carb and not the best streetable carb.

My street and strip carbs have been Carter Thermoquads which have performed flawlessy on the street and on the track; 850 TQ on 67 340 Dart GT turned 12's easily at the track and has performed consistently without bog, rebuilding, or tuning for seven years now.
Fact is that there are few TQ's running on the streets and strips flawlessly, but when properly built (by only a handful on true carb experts) they are competitive with the Holleys for the average street rodder and occasional drag enthusiast.

The TQ's are superior in their street manners compared to a Holley; for example, one can run a 800 or 850 on a 318-440 cubic inch motor interchangeably because the small primaries deliver good throttle response and the huge secondaries will supply enough cfm for any cubic inch motor only as the engine requires it (vacuum operated). There are no "power valves" to blow out as on a Holley (Avenger excepted/modified Holleys).

On the engine dyno, I broke my stroker in with the TQ and did a few pulls to seat the rings. Switched to a Holley dbl. pumper and there was less HP/Torque output until I did some iginition and carb tuning. Not an adequate comparison but certainly indicated the stock TQ was more than up to the task. I suspect the TQ would have equaled or surpassed the Holley's performance if tested with the same ignition mods.

Drawback is that few performance parts are available for the TQ (Carter Strip kits are collectible) but there is a member of this list that has a very good knowledge and reputation building TQ's and can answer your questions factually on the pros and cons of a TQ vs. Holley; Demonsizzler, contact through the parts page.

Take care,
Gary Pavlovich
Old 04-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Inactive User

I completely agree with Gary. The small primaries of the TQ and Quadrajunk are the difference. The Holley is a very good performance carb, but not the easiest to get along with on the street. The large secondaries of the spreadbores for power and the small primaries for normal day to day type driving make a very good street/strip setup.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:35 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

With answers like that, what can I say? I agree.
Between the spreadbore holley and a square bore holley...Hmmmmm.....The answer lies up top.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:44 AM
Inactive User

I would prefer to use a spread bore, double pumper, with full metering blocks on each end, especially if you are running boosted.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:44 PM
Inactive User

I think the guys are right! But they did point out some interesting points also. They are difficult to tune. And there alot more complicated than the Holley, with far more parts! Not that I havent put a few theromo's togather, Once in tune they will perform just as good. And probably get better gas milage! If you can keep out of the back 2! But the hollet does have one advantage over the factory carbs. Abbundancy of parts avaliable, and the simplicty of tuning!