Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-16-2002, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

Question lexan sheet for windshield

what are the best web sites to buy lexan sheets for windows in a car?
anyone who has installed lexan windows please reply w/ good or bad info on web sites.
thanks
Old 04-17-2002, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Lexan Windows

I have seen advertisements in the back pages of National Dragster for Lexan window kits. Most issues seem to have one or two. You might check with the local racers to see where they picked up theirs.

I used plexiglass for the quarter windows in my bracket '68 Coronet. Had to do it, the wheel tubs took out the wind-up mechanism. Really did not work out very well. Plexi is too soft and it would not clean up well from using shoe polish for the dial-in. Lexan is supposed to be a lot tougher.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Inactive User

lexan is tougher for a direct blow(they make bullet proof windows out of it)but it scratches real easy and is real expensive i know there is a weight savings but im not sure how much, ask the guys at the track who use one
Old 04-17-2002, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up demonized

hey demonized! if you are a do-it yourselfer you can probably pick a sheet of lexan up at a local sign supplier as that is a common substrate that my business will use from time to time. You also may look in yellow-pages under plastics for info there too. I raced a street-stock here at greenville-pickens speedway for a couple of years and bought a sheet of lexan , layed it over my windshield opening and marked it with a sharpie, then i jigged out the shape, belt sanded the rough cut marks and installed looked really kool...if any of this may help you decide...Shaky
Old 04-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

If you are using it on the front windshield ...use at least 3/8 " thickness..the side windows and rear window can be 1/4". I think Home Depot sells it also

tony
Old 04-18-2002, 04:56 AM
Inactive User

Demonized, if you're going to cut the lexan with a jigsaw lay down a double layer of 2" masking tape just inside of the line you'll be cutting. Otherwise, the 'foot' on the jigsaw will leave scratches in the surface of the lexan. I learned this trick from a friend of mine who used to customize vans. He did this to keep from scratching the paint when he cut out the holes for the custom windows.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:15 PM
Inactive User

CDIgnition over on moparts.com has a lot of experience with using lexan for a windshield as well as the varying degrees of scratch resistance each grade provides. The topic was just covered a while ago here.

http://www.moparts.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005653.html

Chris
Old 04-18-2002, 11:40 PM
Inactive User

The best stuff to use is "MarGuard". It is a very scratch resistant Lexan.

Nascar (Winston Cup, Busch, Craftsmen Trucks as well as the local series) all use Lexan. It works well but a windshield needs 2 or 3 supports in the center of the windshield. Look at the race on TV Sunday, you will see the vertical supports in the front windshield.

It cuts easily with a sabre saw but don't try to sand the edge(it melts easily too). Use a rough to medium file or better yet a hand wood plane works real good. It can be riveted without splitting.

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

We use the MarGuard lexan. We use the thin as the rules allow.
We did not use any braces and it has worked fine, flexes alot but no problems yet. Have used lexan for 6 years.

We made a templet out of thin cardboard then traced outline on the protective coating of the sheet of lexan. Cut it fast with a jig saw or it will get hot and start to melt back togather.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:35 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, you are probably right about not needing braces for a drag car. My old bald head was thinking oval track where the stress cycles are so much greater. Flex won't hurt you on a drag strip but is not wanted on an oval track car when you go blasting into a turn @150 about two feet off the guy's bumper in front of you. Sorry!
Old 04-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Banned

I used all 3/16 for my side windows, we drilled holes and used Tek screws to fasten the rear 1/4 windows to the inner body. The door windows on a mopar are easy, you pull the glass and regulators leaving in the tracks, replace with Mar Guard and we used an old seat belt to make pull straps and the twist and lock catches on the bottom of the door panel.

We didn't opt for the lex windshield, we used a light weight piece from Autostock...about 10 lbs lighter than OEM

You can see this setup on the passenger door in this pic
http://www.moparchat.com/forums/show...threadid=47120
Interior24.jpg is the link
Old 04-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Inactive User

Check with the local glass shop. One of my sponsors "FLAG CITY GLASS " supplies the Lexan for our circle track cars, 3/8" windshield. I traced cardboard and transferred it to the paper side of the Lexan and then cut with sabre saw. Drilled holes along edge and installed with stainless sheet metal screws, so far no problems at all. In circle track cars you need to install upright supports in the center for your protection. Just a little trivia here, these bars are called Earnhardt Bars, he was the first to use them. Good Luck.