Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-17-2002, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

Question I'm pretty sure it's not my colon.......

Let's say that a feller has a small block V-8 that is making some evil internal sounds. By evil, I mean that there is an enormous amount of rattling and thudding that is happening inside the block when the motor is idling, but disappears when the engine is at speed. I lost my copy of car craft that diagnoses engine noises, and I want a little more input before i make the commitment to tear the motor down. I'm realistic, and I know deep in my heart that something is seriously wrong, but I'd like to hear (or in the case read) the actual words.

thanks
Old 04-17-2002, 11:01 PM
Inactive User

Pfunk (that's Parliament Funk from the '70's right?) What you need to do is put the trans in neutral and start the engine. Immediately floor the gas pedal and hold it there. Very soon the offending part that's making all the noise will magically appear on the ground under neath the car! Quite simple, yet very effective and accurate. Be sure to post your results, as I know we're all just dying to know what's wrong!! ......djs
Old 04-17-2002, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

Maybe it's not that bad. I know for sure that if it was a spun rod bearing. It would get lowder the higher it revs. A Main bearing usally rattles a little during start up but quits if not to bad. But you can here it during coasting and giving it little a little gas. Check all external parts from the motor like, startes,balancers flywheels,distributer,fuel pump,oil pump;etc. Try starting the engine while underneth the car. Help pin point the noise. You can buy mechanics stethiscopes. Or how about the old broom stick handle to your ear.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:09 AM
Inactive User

colon, pretty sure its the colon. try the broom stick. but don't put it were there's a colon problem!
Old 04-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Inactive User

Did you check to see if your torque converter bolts are loose? When even 1 is loose it can mimic a bearing problem pretty close. It happened to me last year and I was sure I had an internal problem!!
Mike
Old 04-18-2002, 05:42 PM
Inactive User

Mmmmmmmm..... a loose nut is what it sounds like (in fact, it sounds like a nut being swirled around in a coffee can). Thanks for the input, rest assured it is appreciated.

P.S. I like my fair share of carnage, it just isn't too cool when forward motion is involved.

P.P.S. And yes, it is the very same P-funk....Parliament Funkadelic....there is no finer funk.

P-funk
Old 04-18-2002, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

i agree with the torque converter bolt theory i forfeited a semi final round cause i thought i tossed a bearing
Old 04-18-2002, 09:50 PM

Where exactly is the noise coming from? Top, Bottom, Back, Front, Hmmmm.
What about the idea of a extremly loose timing chain slapping the side of the timing cover??????
Old 04-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I don't know what year the car is, but i know if your cat is going bad it can make sounds like nuts in a coffee can.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

The noise seems to be coming from the top end of the motor, towards the rear. The car is actually a hot rod (I didn't mention the make, or the engine type because it might be considered blasphemy on this board). It's a 1928 Ford roadster with a 283 chevy plant. I woke it up from its winter slumber, and was in the process of getting it ready for summer when it started to act up on me. I figured that noises were noises, no matter the manufacturer.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:14 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Cool! I am slowly getting parts together for a 31 5 window. I already have the plan in my head. Chopped 4, channeled 4, 392 hemi, either dual quads or six 2s, hemi a833 4-speed, 9" ford rearend, Split wishbone front and rear suspension from 40 or 41 ford. It should be a really cool ride!

Is the noise coming from the engine or tranny?
Old 04-18-2002, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

I am almost completely sure that the noise is coming from the engine, but given my luck, I'm completely wrong as well. Also, I don't know if this is of any relevance, but the engine also stumbles when gassed, and it's nothing that I can take care of with the carb (and I tried, oh Lord did I try).
That coupe does sound pretty tasty....I've got a 360 in the wings, and I just need to find a t-bucket to drop it in.