Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-20-2002, 08:51 PM
Inactive User

Default custom intake gskt

As many of you know, I have decked down a 400 b engine. I have cut it down .085 on each deck.

Following the .0123 off of the intake for every .010 off the head, and allowing for a .039 felpro head gskt, I had the intake shaved .090 off of each side.

Check for fit afterwards, It's perfect.

Problem? The problem is, I can't seem to make the one piece valley pan gskt fit. I've already mangled two of them. They bunch up, and cause the intake not to bolt down straight.

Since the decks are now about .085" closer together(.085 off of each deck divided by two since they're at 90degrees to each other) the gskt is too wide. About 1/12 of an inch, too wide.

I have developed a solution, but I'am curious as to what any of you would suggest.

ps, I did cut down the ends of the block(where the gskt bolts down) until it was flush with the edge of the head/gskt also
Old 04-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Inactive User

We have been making our gaskets for years(gaskets aren't made for the stuff we run). Go to the NAPA parts store(I hope they are in Canada) buy a roll of their neoprene gasket material. It is a synthetic material highly resistant to oil, gas, etc. It is available in .032" and .063" thicknesses. Cuts easily with scissors/Exacto Knife.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:59 AM
Inactive User

I've made gaskets also, but I don't really see how that would work here.

You'd have to leave it draped across the "valley" like a canvass. Might work for racing, but wouldn't hold up long to elements, ect, before it ripped and allowed oil from the lifter gallery out, and road dirt in.

What I did, was cut two of the tin gaskets. I cut them on opposite sides(lengthwise), so they overlap for most of the "valley". I also slotted the bolt holes(the three in the end of the gasket) so the two pieces could move closer to the middle.

I put several beads of silicon between the halves, where they overlap(they overlap by about 3.5 inches)

The fit is good, and I'm reasonably confident it won't leak.

I thought there would be other guys who have had to deal with this on the b/rb engine. Are there?
Old 04-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Inactive User

Default custom intake gskt

Why don't you just copy how Indy does it? Get a 1/4 inch Alumium plate with sides milled on angle to go under head.Bead of silicone between this plate under head and use paper gasket for intake ports. This would be a lot cleaner,less chance of leak.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:32 PM
Inactive User

That's a good idea turbo tim.

But, I'm using a 1970 383 dual plane intake, and it hangs lower into the valley than the top of the head deck.

What you are suggesting would work with a high rise manifold, but as is, i would have about an inch of interferance.

I think you can even buy that set up, from mopar performance, but it won't work with my street intake.

What I've done, has turned out fairly clean, I might post some pictures when I get a chance.