Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-22-2002, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

Default Superchargers

Does anybody know where I could find a good cheap new or used supercharger that would work on my 2001 Dakota 2.5L. Please send me some info. Also what kind of difference would I see if i went with 3.92 or 4.10 right now i have 3.55.

I have a 2001 dakota 2.5L 5 speed with a homebrew air raid intake kit and a cherrybomb exhaust.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

IMHO, get a v8, then supercharge it. There aren't any bolt in kits for the 4, because there is no desire for it. Sorry
Old 04-23-2002, 02:59 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I think blown59 is right, you should take that money and save it for a nice 360. It would be better for you in the long run.... and funner!

Brian
Old 04-23-2002, 03:04 AM
Inactive User

I think speedtweaks.com is working on comin up w/ a turbo setup for your I-4. I'm sure you can fabricate one or check online w/ a turbo search. Your looking at over $3000 most likely though.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Inactive User

If you spend 4k (that's a guess) on a turbo, what do you think the et will be? 15?16? That's a lot of money to get beaten by mustangs.... Although it would be neat. Also, consider the strength of the I4. That motor won't last long (stock) with that kind of abuse. So now, we put forged internals into it, spend more $$$, get the point?
Old 04-23-2002, 10:28 AM
Inactive User

theres a kit for sale on www.usedsuperchargers.com ..if that url doesnt work try it withous the S at the end. It was for a 2.5l jeep. Said it raised the power output up to par with the 4.0. I beleive it was around 1800 bucks
Old 04-23-2002, 11:39 AM
Inactive User

Although I do agree with what everyone is saying and save your money for a v8, what would it take to put a Omni TUrbo motor in a dakota???? You guys think it could be done? I would think there are some differences because of the fwd and rwd configurations. Just an idea me and some friends had thrown around a few years ago.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:56 AM
Inactive User

Cool

An omni turbo motor would be really cool. Have you told Brad your idea yet Dakracer? I'm sure he would go crazy over it! I don't think it would be a prob. An engine doesn't know which way its facing. You'd probably have to fab up engine mounts, and figure out if bellhousing is different. I'm sure it would take some thought but it could be done.

Brian
Old 04-23-2002, 12:43 PM
Inactive User

certain years the 2.2 2.5 blocks had motor mounts where as you could mount them either way for a rwd or a fwd drivetrain. But certain years didnt have the provisions to do that. I seem to rember the rwd motor had the provisions for the fwd mounts but the fwd moters didnt have the provisions for the rwd mounts. I have seen it done though. There was a guy on the dml with a built 2.2 from a daytona, but it turned out it wouldnt mount up into his rwd truck. I was considering the swap on my old 88 dak but just bought a v6 instead
Old 04-24-2002, 10:13 AM
Inactive User

I just saw a Dakota on e-bay a couple of weeks ago that had the twin cam turbo I-4 from a Spirit RT in it.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Inactive User

Just to clear up some things....

1) The 2.5L used in Dakotas is a Jeep engine. It has nothing but the same displacement in common with a 2.5L Chrysler turbo motor.

2) Since 2.2L's were an option in the Dakota initially, there are RWD parts out there for such a swap.

3) A few conversions have already been done. One can be seen here: http://www.geocities.com/berksglh/

He did some custom work to the intake, and made a custom header for it.

If you chose to go this route, the best information available for 2.2/2.5L turbo's can be found here: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ You'll note the owner of that site has a K car that runs 10's with no bottle! And the TOTAL cost to get there was a fraction of what some people have spent on their Dakota R/T's.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:42 PM
Inactive User

It's a K-car. A fast k-car, but still, not gonna get any woman off the curb and into the car, so-to-speak.

My dad once said, "You can put a jet engine into a Rambler, but when you're done, all you've got is a fast rambler."

FWIW, the money isn't always the issue, but when it is, do what you have to, just plan out the whole thing before you start.

Fabricating blower/turbo, etc, isn't something you want to go into with limited funds or knowledge.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

not gonna get any woman off the curb and into the car, so-to-speak.

Another point of view is: How impressed do you think your lady friend will be with you and your uber-truck when you get blown into the weeds by a K car??

My dad once said, "You can put a jet engine into a Rambler, but when you're done, all you've got is a fast rambler."

A wise man, who I am sure would realize the guy who started this thread was aking for opinions on making his Dakota faster. While not quite as un-sexy as a Rambler, its hardly the chickmagnet a Viper is.

the money isn't always the issue,

To anyone with a shread of common sense, it is ALWAYS the issue. What's the reason to spend MORE money, when spending less would allow you to go faster? Most people I know want to go faster for the smallest possible investment. The ones I know who don't, drive sticker queens with shiny $500 coffee can tipped mufflers that only improve performance by the weight savings they provide in the wallett.

do what you have to, just plan out the whole thing before you start.

Quite true. What's the old saying...."Failing to plan, is planning to fail" and when you are talking about risking a catastrophic engine failure, you had better have a plan.

With regard to brad1599's situation, I'd suggest contacting Speedtweaks about their pending turbo kit for 4 banger Dakotas. They will do the "hard work" and eliminate most hiccups. A complete kit is much better for the unitiated than trying to fabricate something under the shadetree.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:10 PM
Inactive User

That's why i love the internet so much. Instead of taking the post fwiw, you completely over-analyze the statements. Congrats. I still say, dollar for dollar, that hot-rodding the I4 in the dakota will be more expensive, and time consuming for a smaller gain.

NOW, as stated before, you can do whatever you like, and it would be neat to see when done. I've talked to quite a few ppl with hot-rodded 4's, and MOST (not all), wish they would've started with an 8 when practical.

Also, the 4-cyl components (rear/tranny) aren't built for huge horsepower, so there is that. I highly doubt that the rear is a sure-grip, so there's more $$.

If i had a bunch of $$, and loved that particular vehicle, i would do the same thing. The turbo is the way to go, IMHO, rather than the s/c. Whatever you decide, good luck.

My wife would laugh at the extremely fast k-car, as would I. Also i would smile with respect. Have yet to race one.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Inactive User

[b]Another point of view is: How impressed do you think your lady friend will be with you and your uber-truck when you get blown into the weeds by a K car??[b]

It's not an "uber-truck", it was made in warren.

It's not getting "blown into the weeds" anytime soon. I've won and lost races, but your overly dramatic.

"There's no replacement for displacement"
Old 04-25-2002, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

I still say, dollar for dollar, that hot-rodding the I4 in the dakota will be more expensive, and time consuming for a smaller gain.

That is your opinion, and I respect that. The original poster asked for ways to get more power out of his Dakota. You have settled on one way and one way only. I'd simply point out that dropping a 318ci or 360ci V8 into his previously 150ci I4 Dakota, is hardly a "plug-n-play" scenario. He'll need all sorts of things like motor mounts, a transmission, a wiring harness complete with ECU, a new exhaust system. Then after the swap, he'll still need to purchase a supercharger kit and install that. I'm not sold that turbocharging the Jeep 150ci I4 is a great idea, but it is something for him to consider and not dismiss out of hand. Especially since.....that is the engine that's already under his hood.

I've talked to quite a few ppl with hot-rodded 4's, and MOST (not all), wish they would've started with an 8 when practical.

That's fine. Look at my sig line. Do know what I do to pick up time at the track with my turbocharged Spirit? I take an allen key and raise my fuel pressure and then screw my boost controller tighter so that I make 5psi more boost. Instant 35-40hp increase. There's nothing I can do remotely close to the 318ci in the Dakota to replicate that. Even with your supercharged 360ci, you need another pulley to make more boost. (I'm not counting your NOS kit in this discussion.) A turbo'd V8 would be a wonderful "best of both worlds", but starting with a turbo I4 isn't a death sentence, as Gary Donovan's K car is proof.

Also, the 4-cyl components (rear/tranny) aren't built for huge horsepower, so there is that. I highly doubt that the rear is a sure-grip, so there's more $$.

Very true, but those things would most certainly have to be replaced if he upgraded to a supercharged V8 too.

If i had a bunch of $$, and loved that particular vehicle, i would do the same thing.

Now which vehicle are you talking about here, Gary's K car or brad1599's I4 Dakota? If its the K car, I can assure you Gary was running very low 12's for a total investment of probablly less than you have in mods for your R/T. He's spent some money to get from there to where he is now, but his cost is extremely low for as fast as he's going.

It's not getting "blown into the weeds" anytime soon. I've won and lost races, but your overly dramatic.

I mentioned getting blown into the weeds by Gary's K car, and unless you are running 10.5's, then yes, you would get "blown into the weeds". I am not being overly dramatic, I am being truthful. See for yourself, here is a link to a run he made last season: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/video/...supra_long.zip The Supra he races in this video, ran a low 12.

"There's no replacement for displacement"

Sure there is, and you already subscribe to it..."boost, it IS the great equalizer".

Gary will be here in Memphis June 22-26 for the Shelby Dodge Automobile Club annual convention (aka SDAC-12). There will also be a turbocharged minivan that runs mid-12's here as well. Why don't you come on up and check it out. Dakota R/T's are more than welcome to participate in all the events. You can find some info here: www.sdac.org