Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Inactive User

Question ball joints and tie rod ends

i just bought a 70 fury III today, and i'm putting all new everything on it. i'm trying to assess whether the tie rod ends and ball joints are an immediate concern. how would i know if they NEED replaced. are there any tests i can do?
thanx!
sbo
Old 04-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Inactive User

Default frt end checks

Before proceeding with these checks, snug the wheel brg preload, so there is no slop in the wheel brgs(if there is any present) no need to repack right now, just snug them up if they're loose.

1)Jack the car, and support the vehicle by placing axle stands under the lower control arms. Lower vehicle so all weight is on the stands (leave the wheels bolted on for these tests)

Step 2 should be done with 2 people

2)using a long prybar, or crowbar, pry the tire upwards from the ground, and observe the up and down movement of the lower ball joint. The lower ball joint is the load carrying ball joint, so some play is allowable.(a spec that comes to mind is .035", but check a manual if you have one) .035" is not much, if it "clunks" up and down, you have way more than that. Now grab the lower edge of the tire and try to move it in and out. If there is any in and out movement in the lower ball joint, replace it. Some specs may differ from this, but most will agree this is accurate.

3) grab the top edge of the tire, and try to move it in and out, while observing the upper ball joint for play. The spec on the upper ball joint is tighter, because it is a control joint. Should be no noticable play.

4)Tie rods/ steering links/pitman/idler. Since you already have the car on stands, grab the tire and move it side to side in a jerky motion, while observing the tie rods and links for play. Also watch the idler arm for up and down movement(there shouldn't be much, if any)

Some prefer to check tierods, by having the vehicle on the ground, and observing the tierods/links/pitman observed while turning the steering wheel back and forth(in a jerky motion again).

Chances are, that if play in any of the joints/sockets is easily visable, then it is too much. The part needs to be replaced. If it is brutally obvious, then safety is a serious concern. These joints do fail, with catastrophic results. Vehicles don't have to be old for it too happen either. Saw a lower joint pull through on a 95 up chev truck last winter.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

thanx a bunch! motors and bodywork i know. frames and trannies i don't.
much appreciated!
mopar or nocar!
sbo