Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-29-2002, 01:18 AM
Inactive User

Question tips on buying a convertible?

My buddy and I looked at a 1970 Fury III convertible this weekend. My friend really wants a big block C body to just cruise around in and we ran into this convertible this weekend at a car corral. I was able to spot several things amiss since I was experienced in looking at regular hard top cars, but I was wondering if there are any special areas i should be concentrating on since it is a convertible.

Problems I found and pointed out:

1. Both rocker panels are toast.
2. Both fender bottoms are near toast.
3. Both quarter panels and wheel wells are toast.
4. There is a 3" hole in the left side of the trunk.
5. Drove it in the rain and the passenger window does not seal up top
6. My buddy noticed water dripping behind the dash by my feet during the test drive.

Despite this the cool factor just sort of took over for my friend and he is looking past some of this. After all it is a 2-door convertible with a 383 pretty cool for a daily cruiser. On the test drive the cars started and drove excellent. The front end was rebuilt and the car seemed to have no problem with 4 big people and in the rain. All of the chrome and emblems were intact and the dash was perfect. It had a new top and carpeting and overall I didn't think it was a total basket case. The guy wants $2500 for it and I was able to get my buddy to stick his foot in his mouth and think about it for awhile. So opinions anyone? Is this a keeper or a clunker?
Old 04-29-2002, 02:18 AM
Inactive User

At least on my Newport convert, the rear carpet had tranny fluid on it. Ended up being the lift cylinders leaking which are behind the rear quarter panels. Just make sure the top latches work, and if their is a well liner in the back where the top folds down into. Just extra parts you will need later. Not much help but maybe a little help

Bob
Old 04-29-2002, 10:52 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Obviously, rust is the convertible killer since water gets inside the car when seals wear. Check the floors carefully. My Valiant had been repaired and the work covered by undercoating and carpet. I found it to be a poor repair and I'll have to put in new floor pans before long.

Also check for availablility of convertible parts and seals. Those C-bodies are not well represented in the restoration catalogs.

Pumps and hydraulic cylinders are expensive, so make sure they work and are not leaking.