Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-01-2002, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

Default dead in the road

So, my D left me dead at a stoplight the other day. It didn't restart for about 2 minutes. Then it just ran like ____. I took it in Friday, they couldn't find anything. I guess it erased the computers memory. It happened again on Monday (same exact light) and I took it in on Tuesday. Still, they could find anything. They think it might be the fuel pump. Leading up to this I was getting sudden drops in rpm's when driving & thought it might be the torque converter locking up. They couldn't find any fault codes with that either. To add to my misery, I picked my D up yesterday from Dodge and my CD player doesn't work anymore.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:12 PM
performance engines

Default dead

4k$ stereo?et you got a big thumper bass set up too! believe it or not I'v seen a guy had something like that and it literally cracked the board or the soldered connections in his control module, took forever to find it, when we did he was pissed! it would run for about 2-3 miles then when he got away from ma&pa's house he would crank it up, shortly there after, stall! replaced board, wrapped in sound proofing, runs fine now
course, he doesn't turn it up quite as loud now
Old 05-01-2002, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

So the bass caused his car to stall? That is pretty crazy. Are you talking about the computer, or a module under the dash? I think it just might be coincidental in this case. I didn't have the stereo up loud the second time it did. The scary thing is that it died at the same exact light, at almost the same exact time coming home from work.
So I have three problems, and I don't know if any are related to each other or not. I just want to solve them all some how.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:06 AM
performance engines

Default stall,

yes, it appears the bass vibrations caused the board or soldered connections to split, but they covered it under warranty because he had all the stuff installed at the dealer. and it was the module under the hood
Old 05-02-2002, 10:54 AM
Inactive User

I will see if they will take a look at it for me. I'll keep you updated if I ever get it fixed.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

Well, it died again yesterday on the way home. It wouldn't start for around 10 minutes this time. I watched the odometer as it was flashing and it showed "no bus". I guess this means the D couldn't find the computer. I think they are going to put a new one in. We will see. As for today, I am in a neon loaner.

Also, my CD player that got fried last time I dropped my D off at Dodge just got done. It has been along two weeks without tunes!!!!
Old 05-21-2002, 02:34 AM
performance engines

Default jaw

hey, did they find out what was wrong? let us know! jus' wonderin'
Old 05-21-2002, 10:54 AM
Inactive User

Glad you asked. I just picked up my D yesterday. After a entire week without my ride, they ended up replacing the PCM. They let it run all day long yesterday and it didn't die. So, it should be it. The best news is that the PCM and emmissions is warrentied for 8 years/ 80,000 miles. With the new PCM, it solved some of my funny torque convertor problems.

To answer this question ahead of time: No I didn't get a performance PCM. I tow, and it wouldn't work for me.