Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-01-2002, 08:34 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Default Will new Hemi find a home in MP catalog?

With all the interest in the upcoming 5.7 Hemi, I wonder what's in the mill for Mopar Performance parts.

Will we see a carbureted version, or will there be an aftermarket fuel injection electronics package for old Mopars?

Wonder what the transmission bolt pattern matches?...if anything!

Will we see headers and clutches and adapters to make it compatible with existing performance parts?

What about dress-up parts like valve covers, brackets, etc?

My guess is that it will be several years before we see many performance parts and that aftermarket companies will lead the charge, like they did with the PT Cruiser.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Inactive User

There will likely be a crate Hemi within 2 years. The bell housing bolt pattern is the same as the 4.7 cammer motor, the motor mounts are different than the LA. W/o an adaptor you will have to use a current truck or SUV transmission, which limits stick shift options quite a bit.

Other than that I've heard that the 5.7 resembles the LA motor, a majordifference is the camshaft is 1.3 inch or so higher in the block to allow for shorter pushrods and less weight in the valve train. The motor has double rocker arms with 1.6 ratio, it appears to be a traditional Mopar hemi head. There are additional quench humps in the head, double spark plugs. The intake valves are 2" with plenty of room to go larger. I believe it resembles the early Chrysler hemi more than the RB hemi. I have also heard that the deck height is lower, but the rods are longer because the piston compression height is reduced. The OEM pistons are cast, the block iron and the head is allow. The rod journals the same size as the LA, but the main journals could be smaller than a 318. It is a deep skirt design with 4-bolt main caps, weighs almost 100 pounds less than the current LA. The bore is 3.92 ( can be bored to 4.060"). I think, the stroke is 3.58, same as a 360.

Sounds good.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:37 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Alright the complete stats are as follows
Plastic ram tuned intake..coil on plug distributerless ignition. Weighs 100lbs less than the 360..gets 1.5mpg better fuel econ and 120 bhp more,...The Block is a high nickle grey iron. The 345 bore is 3.92(4.05 for the 6.1 liter)... Bore centers are 4.46(same as the 360) 9.25" Deck Height. Cam centerline is 1.32"higher than the 360(its now at 7.44 inches north of te crank centerline). Deep skirted block and cross bolted. Vertical bolts are M12 and cross bolts are M8...Stainless Core plugs, sealed with loctight..Oil pump is ferotor type(AMC style) directly driven off the crank..Oil pickup tube is 15/16ths dia...7 Quart laminated oil pan...Nodular sand cast iron Crank(basicallly a 360 Crank) Its cross drilled and has rolled radius fillets on all Bearing surfaces+ is microfinished. Rod Journals are 54mm(2.125") vrs the 360s 2.80"...The engine is internally balanced. rear crank flange is 100mm, 8 bolt pattern..Con Rods are 6.25" long, are of "cracked cap" powdered alloy. Weighing 593Grams(with bolts). Pistons are Mahle cast aluminum.. 412Grams too...Chrome Moly rings...85cc combustion chamber, with 2 small stuffers to reduce the volume. Intake valves are 2.00" Dia, 4.93" long, installed at 18 deg. Powdered metal seats..13.72 cid per square inch of valve area. Exhausts are 1.55 dia@ 15.5 deg. 10 bolts per head..cast in rocker shaft pedistols..1.65:1 rockers(non Roller)..Press fit vibration dampner(No pully, groves are cut into the vibration dampner)
Thats it
Old 05-16-2002, 12:37 PM
Inactive User

There is an article in the current Mopar Action that also has some good pictures!
Old 05-21-2002, 04:24 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Keith

Sounds good.
Quote:
I beleive it resembles the early Chrysler hemi more than the RB hemi.
Thats what I was thinking. Much the same specs as the '56 354 Firepower. Except I dont agree that its a "traditional hemi." The valve layout more closely resembles the "polysphere" head--canted, not 180 deg apart like a real hemi.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:45 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

The Mopar Action article shed a lot of light on the design, but I'm betting the engine will be pretty much ignored by Mopar Performance for several years. They haven't done much for modern engines since the 2.2/2.5's.

Engine availability will be limited for a couple of years and the aftermarket will probably provide a few items, but the cost of R&D with a totally new design might limit that too. I'm afraid it will be typically modern Mopar.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:45 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Hemi Shmemi? Nope, its the Real Thing

Well,I stand corrected(again).Got the August issue of Mopar Action and it IS a "true" hemi. Sorry for the mis-information. I was just going by what I've read at car-truck.com and others. After being disappointed by both the WC and Pro Stock heads not being "real" hemis, I had become sceptical of ever seeing one again from the "Chrysler Group." But it IS a cool little hemi, its a good start, anyway!
Old 06-04-2002, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

I believe there will be an all-alloy version for the rear-drive LH replacement cars, and maybe a 3rd version which has higher performance for racing. The version we know about is a honest to goodness truck motor that has more low-mid range torque.
Not a bad truck motor.

A question I have is the main journal size, I've heard that the main bearing journals are even smaller than a 318.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Magnum..couldn't tell by your sarcasm but the 543 ISNT a Hemi it's a squished hemiĀ…a True hemi has a Half sphere shape, the current hemi, while it shares valve to combustion chamber geometry and sparkplug locations like a traditional Chrysler hemi, ISNT a true hemi due to the squish pads on either side of the combustion chamber
Old 06-13-2002, 05:30 PM
Inactive User

Sorry, I was'nt trying to be sarcastic, I really thought it was a "true hemi" after seeing the open combustion chamber and familiar opposing valve lay out. Upon closer inspection of the MA pics, I can see what you are talking about, tho.

You are the Hemi expert(or "fiend") so I will defer to your knowledge. But at least I was'nt as far off as I was in an earlier post when I declared it was not a true hemi because it was a canted vlave polysphere! that may be why you thought I was being sarcastic with "Hemi Shmemi?" I was referng to my own blunder.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:42 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have more of a technical question for you, Max. What effect, if any, do those squish pads have on the hemis inherently superior "volumemetrc effecientcy"?

I realize you'd prob hafto flo bench some for comparisons--but just your opinion?
Old 06-13-2002, 05:54 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

probably centralize the charge and make it easier to get a complete/quick burn. That is usually what engine designers are looking for as the primary way to reduce emmisions. Quick clean burn. My only fear is that with so much rough cast surface(as opposed to the Hemis polished/milled combustion surface) will it make it more likly to carbon up?
Old 06-14-2002, 12:12 AM

Default Your original question

Your question cals for speculation and my guess is that it depends on how many of them are on the market. Look at the PT Cruiser, the aftermarket had performance packages for that car very quickly. They knew a lot of them were going to be out there and the car begs for modifications. If the Hemi trucks sell well the aftermarket will follow with parts.

It took a while but DC sells Viper crate engines, why not the new Hemi. Who knows, maybe it will only cost $8~9000.